Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #1 
Thesharpestlives

Unhappy what do i do? :,(

My little brother adopted a VERY VERY young veiltail male about a month ago..he doesnt feed it ..or clean its tank..and ive taken these responsiblites myself...ive started to BOND with the fish now..sadly...and i want to make him mine and give him a better life :( what can i do?? my parents refuse to let me have the fish unless he agrees..but he continues to say NO ..though he NEVER takes care of the thing...:/ he never even named it! i can tell its at most 6 mnths old....it looks VERY young compared to my zipper...
Thesharpestlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #2 
Thesharpestlives

heres a pic of the little guy in his filthy tank..which i was about to clean..and have done so since this pic..
Old 10-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #3 
ksage505

Are your parents aware of how he treats the betta? If not, definitely tell them how he doesn't take care of the fish and you have been the one to care for it. Let them know how bettas need to be cared for and without your doing it the fish probably would not live. Personally, if I knew my child was neglecting the fish to this level I would not let him keep it.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #4 
Thesharpestlives

i have told them this..but they have refused to listen..and i agree with you..the poor thing swims around frantically everytime it see's me..as if it knows i wont just walk past it and ill actually sit down and watch it for a while..and give it food and the care it needs. i told them they need to upgrade to a 2.5 gallon..but there keeping it in a 1 tgallon...*sigh* im even willing to divide my 8 gallon to have this little guy..or hec..go out and buy a sepreate 5 gallon just for him...:/
Old 10-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #5 
Thesharpestlives

to be honest...im afraid he will die soon if i dont get him better care..im doing the best i can..but truth is..the only time i KNOW for sure the fish hasnt been feed or his tank hasnt been cleaned is when its becomeing extreme...:/
Old 10-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #6 
Indyfishy

Poor guy, have you tried offering to buy the fish from your brother? Since you're doing all the care, the fish is basically yours anyway, so maybe you could go buy a critter keeper for him. They come in several size, and you can get a 2.5 gallon very cheap (like around 10 bucks cheap) at wal-mart. How old is your brother, is he even old enough to do proper care on his own?
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

Have you told your parents that they are basically telling your brother it is okay to abuse animals? Not to mention that he is learning that animals are disposable. I am sure that they wouldn't really want to be teaching him these things, especially because cruelty to animals is one of the first signs of a sociopath/serial killer. I am not saying that he is going to go that way, but 20 years from now, who knows? Wouldn't it suck for them if they looked back and saw that they actually helped to enable that trait?
It seems like a real cop-out to me in that they have someone to wants to take care of the fish. They don't even have to do it themselves!
The good news is that he doesn't look thin. Bettas can go at least 2 weeks without food, and underfeeding is probably better since he will create less waste that he will then have to swim in until you get to clean it.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #8 
Thesharpestlives

He is plenty old enough (11) and I show him proper tank cleaning,feeding,ect.evrrytime im over :/ nothing works!! :( and ive said this to my parents..and they said I was being rude...and I told them they were being unreasonable.there considering letting me have the little guy..fingers crossed guys!!!

Last edited by Thesharpestlives; 10-22-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #9 
Thesharpestlives

i think..even if i dont get him..he AT LEAST deserves the right to a name...:/
Old 10-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #10 
Silverfang

I hope you can manage to get the poor boy, I know the poor unnamed boy is hoping you take him and keep him safe too.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote