Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #21 
erinandares

Aww! I'm sorreeee! :C Grr, I would take it and say the cat ate it........ >.> He's eleven, he goes to school sometime. Heheheh... Nahhh... I honestly don't have any other suggestions... D': Sorry, I'm no help.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #22 
Thesharpestlives

hm...maybe...ill buy him a nice skateboard as a trade? i really dont have much money right now..but..the lil fish deserves anything i can do to save him!!!!
Thesharpestlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:42 AM   #23 
erinandares

Oooh... If you're going to buy a nice skateboard, make sure you know he'll take it as a trade first. I would be *so* mad if I spent all that money and he didn't even take it as a trade. (Not that it's all about the money, but money is real tight for me, too. If I'm gonna spend it, I don't want to be wasting it, you know?)
Old 10-23-2011, 02:42 AM   #24 
Thesharpestlives

i know he'd take a skateboard...hands down...:o
Thesharpestlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:44 AM   #25 
erinandares

Then you might have a winning plan! :D
Old 10-23-2011, 03:36 AM   #26 
Pitluvs

Yep, buy him a skateboard. He'll go out and get another fish, and you're back to square one. Not only is your parents teaching him its ok to abuse animals, but you'd be teaching him it's ok to use/blackmale people LOL

Just take care of him the best you can until your brother asks you to take him. If you keep asking him, he'll keep denying you because annoying you is worth more to him than this fishes life. Do the best you can in this situation, sadly we can't win every battle <3
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #27 
Super Sly

Hopefully things turn out to your favor my little cousins that live with me have some leapord geckos that are in the same situation. Every time i go upstairs i tell them that they are going to die if they dont start taking good care of them but they never seem to listen. I try to look out for all the animals we have in the house but this time i think they need to learn a lesson. Im sorry if it may sound mean but I think they need to.

Edit: I know my tn yr old little cousins woul definintly take a skateboard for trade sounds like a decent plan =)
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #28 
BellasMomma

i just dont understand these people that buy pets and then neglect them and as for parents buying for their kids, the parents have a responsiblity too, they need to make sure the kid is actually caring for the pet. its just people being lazy and lazy parenting. i would NEVER buy my daughter a pet and not be sure shes taking care of it. i guess it just comes down to morals.
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #29 
purplemuffin

Some people straight up don't know or have been taught as such. My mom was given guppies as a young girl and was taught by her mom that they were 'just fish' and just grew up with the mindset. No one was there to tell her wrong, and there wasn't really any fish info on the internet that you could just google. Those are the parents who buy their kids pets because they for instance think it's normal for a hermit crab to only live a few months, or for bettas to live in bowls,etc. because they were children and were given them as pets. It's the whole vicious cycle thing. They assume they know the truth, so why look it up?

Now that we know, we CAN change things and be the parents who will not give a kid a 'throw away pet' :) and as we teach our friends who teach their kids, our kids can even help teach their friends and parents and their own future children etc. etc...
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 AM   #30 
trilobite

It seems to me that he isn't letting you have it because he knows you want the fish so much and are putting up a fuss (fair enough though) He probably thinks he has power over you and if I had power over my sisters I wouldnt give it away that easily.
Hmm if I were you I would rationalize with your parents but try not to get emotional (I know this can be hard, but facts tend to lose their value when emotions are brought into play)
Say that him having the betta is pointless since it is teaching him poor life lessons, then throw in some examples of how he is learning that if he doesn't want to do something then someone else will always do it for him.
Then go in to say something about hes not learning to be responsible bla bla bla...main factor here is to be mature and emotionless.
Then do something to either
a) make him think you dont want the fish anymore...his power over you is now useless.
b) give him a very good reason to give you the fish....(eg "hey! lets try and breed it...then we can sell the babies and buy awesome things") but of course the fish needs to be in your larger tank and you need to condition for a month (he doesn't know thats not the case ) then procrastinate on getting the "right female" because that will give you the "most expensive babies" by then he would have forgotten and you will have a new fish in your tank.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote