Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Thumbs down Bad Luck and lots of it

First of all lots in my life is bad luck. But, in my fish world it's bad too! My cory cat was there yesterday... Today not so much. Plus my eggy Madame turned out to have dropsy, and she won't make it through the night even on 3 tsp per gallon. She is trying but I know she has a 0.0000001 chance anyways...

So i cleaned out that tank. I removed all fish into a 4 gallon bucket, with the live plants, took and inspected all ornaments, shells, large rocks... Checked ans cleaned the filter, churned the gravel and did a 75% water change. First, not a single scrap of my cory, and I mean nothing... And the lid was on plus the water level was too low (for the jumping bettas) so he couldn't get out. He died and disapeared...

Which of course was when I realized ALL of poor Madame's scales were raised although she looked normal as if she were eggy. No stress stripes... Just submission stripes. Odd thing was she ate and all yesterday too which usually dropsy bettas don't? Cannot bring myself to use a blunt force to her head because I just cannot do it... I have clove oil (and lots of stuff like almond leaves, meds, live plants, etc) shipping to me, so yeah. I'll try making her last moments as relaxed as possible.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

I'm so sorry that you're not having very good luck =( poor madame, she's been through alot lately!!! With pine-coning that bad, it definitely doesn't look good for her. Was she still in the tank with the other girls? If she was, definitely keep an eye on them to see if they start showing symptoms too. That's really strange about your cory cat, did you ever find him????
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
I'm so sorry that you're not having very good luck =( poor madame, she's been through alot lately!!! With pine-coning that bad, it definitely doesn't look good for her. Was she still in the tank with the other girls? If she was, definitely keep an eye on them to see if they start showing symptoms too. That's really strange about your cory cat, did you ever find him????
I had her in the breeder's net since usually she does get super heavy with eggs - which I thought was her problem. Maybe it was the dead cory cat that did it? Like... Fouled up the water. No one showed symptoms, just her, everyone is eating and zero lethargy no bloating no rot no torn fins no open wounds... That tank was super cleaned and Madame is on a heavy dose of 3 tsp of Epsom per gallon... Cory cat never found. Which is weird! And I have never had a dropsy case ever... :(

Can I do a 1 tsp per gallon dose on the main tank? Just for good measure?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Could she have... eaten the cory, and is bulging because of it?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Hehe that was one conclusion I had... Or he died and she ate rottig remains? I do not know. But all her scales and I mean ALL are sticking up... Near her tail and all. I lowered the water to less than an inch so she didn't have to struggle for air. My poor baby :(
Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #6 
emeraldsky

Im so sorry to hear that :C
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm assuming since you found no body that any other fish in the tank munched the cory. I'm sorry about Madame.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

That's my assumption too >< and yeah... Looked in her container this morning she is still alive. >< but if she swims she is in spirals. :(
Old 10-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #9 
GrellxUndertaker

I'm rooting for Madame. I really hope she gets better.
GrellxUndertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Sadly she passed away this afternoon while I was at work.
Rest in peace my baby girl :( I'm going to bury her tomorrow.