Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #1 
IckleVoldiePoo

Unhappy Fish + Dirty Tank

Hello! I am new to the site, so I apologize if a similar problem has been dealt with before.

Background info:
-I've had my Betta and his one-gallon tank for about a year and a half. For the first year, he was very active and seemed quite happy. A few months ago, I replaced his dying live plant with a moss ball. He didn't seem to like his new plant as much as the old one, but he still has his tall plastic plant that he can hid in which he likes.

-The tank has a filter, cover, and light, but a few weeks ago, the filter stopped working properly. I replace 100% of the water and the filter about once a week and for the first few days, the filter works fine, but after two or three days, the filter seems to clog up and not work as well.

-This is not the exact tank, couldn't find a photo online, but is pretty close: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11100218 I also attached a photo of the actual tank to this post, but it may not have worked.

Problems:
-A few weeks ago, white/clear fuzzy slime started to build up in the tank, on the plants, filter, and above the waterline. I've cleaned the tank, rocks, filter, and plants multiple times with hot water but the slim keeps coming back. I've read that using a bit of white vinegar will help get rid of slim, but was wondering if there are any other methods to get rid of it as well.

-Is there anything I can do to fix the filter? I cannot take it apart to clean the inside, so I just rinse it thoroughly with hot water. I've considered simply buying a new tank, but I would prefer to wait a few months and buy a bigger tank when I have the room.

-Finally, my Betta has been really unhappy. A few months ago I moved, which he wasn't thrilled with, and he wouldn't move as much as he did before. Two months ago I moved again. At first he seemed happy to be getting more attention once I had settled in, but a few weeks ago he practically stopped moving. He used to swim around his plants and use the current from the filter like a slid for hours at a time, and when he needed a break, he would wrap himself in a plant or around the filter for a nap. Now he sits at the bottom of the tank by the plants or in the dark, under the shadow of the filter. He still acts active when he sees the jar of food or when I turn his light on in the mornings, but other than that, he mostly mops around.

I apologize for the long post, but I thought details could be useful. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Heather and Dragon
Attached Images

IckleVoldiePoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

Welcome to the forum. :)

Does he have a heater? Cold water is a massive cause of lethargy in bettas. They like it toasty, between 78 and 82F. They can take the cold water for a while, sometimes years, but eventually it does get to them.

Sorry I can't help on the slime issue. I've never experienced that.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #3 
IckleVoldiePoo

Thanks!

He does not have a heater, but the cover on the tank keeps the water and air a bit warmer. I can get a thermometer to check the temperature and I'll ask the store if they have heaters that would fit a one gallon tank. :)

I came across a post about a similar problem, it sounds like it's not too serious, but I'll keep researching it.

Thanks so much for your advice!
IckleVoldiePoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirty tanks, unhappy fish