Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #1 
BellasMomma

Unhappy She is totally spazzing out!!! HELP!!

So i have had my female Betta for just over a month now and 2 weeks ago i moved her from a 1 gallon bowl - no filter or heater to a 10 gallon tank with all the goods. She had stress stripes the last 2 weeks in the 10 gallon but was totally chill. Always swimming around, coming up to me when i spoke to her, ate for every feeding. But in the last 2 days things have changed. Ive done 2 20% water changes in the 2 weeks shes been in there. The last 2 days she has been pacing in the back of the bottom of the tank non-stop, COMPLETELY ignoring me when i come up to the tank and she doesnt have much interest in my finger (like i have food) as before - although she still is eating good. She had always been so relaxing to watch swim but now its like shes darting back and forth and its stressful to watch her. It seemed to start after the second water change which i did exactly the same as the first. It worries me because she had been fine in it for a week and a half and then all of a sudden.... anyone know what could possibly be going on...? Right now i have her back in her 1 gallon bowl, shes still pacing and darting around. I put her in there to try and relax her. I dont know if it was the best move cuz shes still acting crazy.
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #2 
BellasMomma

Here are her stats...

Housing
What size is your tank?
10 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, Bio-wheel 100 Baffled.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 5 pellets in the morning and 5 in the evening.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just stress stripes.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sleeping habbits when upgraded from a 1 gallon to a 10 gallon. Doesnt sleep like she used to.
Also what i mentioned in the above post.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Her first night in her 10 gallon tank- for the stripes. 1 1/2 weeks after the move for everything else.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I bought more plants and caves for her to hide in, I thought maybe she felt too exposed, still no change - for the stripes.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
At least 2 months. I've had her for 1.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #3 
MistersMom

that is so strange! im sorry!
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:52 PM   #4 
ksage505

Hmm, very odd. The only thing I can really think of is adding in API stress coat and some aquarium salt into her water. Both are stress relievers. For me, this combination has always worked great if I have a fish who is acting odd but has no visible illness. With a partial water change and stress coat/aquarium salt they always seem to perk back up. I would be surprised, but its possible she is intimidated by the space in the ten gallon. I know I've seen some members here say that their fish freak out when given a larger aquarium and calm down and go back to normal when placed in a smaller aquarium.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:41 AM   #5 
BellasMomma

So now after a few hours back in her 1 gallon shes totally chill. Her stress stripes have faded alot too. I have also heard that some Bettas like smaller homes ksage... she really liked her 1 gallon bowl when i first got it for her and then i did research and wanted to give her a house instead of a studio.... but i guess shes just used to small places. After doing alot of searching for 2.5 gallon tanks with filters i think ive finally come to a dicision... Im pretty sure im gonna divide the 10 gallon. I will either do it 5g and 5g and get another Betta or possibly 3g and 7g and try a sorority... or try Violet with the new girls. I have tons of questions on the sorority. So if anybody has successfully started a sorority please let me know just so i can have a direct person to message instead of doing threads... still gonna do research on that. still gotta talk to the hubby but this seems to be the best way to go and the cheapest...
Old 10-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #6 
Tisia

did you cycle the tank before putting her in? if not there may have been an ammonia spike due to the cycling process. also 10 pellets a day is a lot (unless they're mini pellets which I know those kind are not). about 4-5 a day total for normal sized pellets is generally all they need
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #7 
Silverfang

it's possible the larger tank spooked her, sometimes when upgrading a fish from a bowl to a tank, you need to do it in steps, so it's not such a shock (I know, sounds stupid). It could also have been a spoke in ammonia

Edit: ah, just saw about the extra plants and hidey holes, all I can suggest is doing more water changes and see if she can un spazz.

Try taking a sample of the tank water in to a pet store, most of them offer to do free water testing. It would at least give you a firmer basis on if the water chemistry is off.

Last edited by Silverfang; 10-23-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:28 AM   #8 
BellasMomma

Tisia - I cycled it for 3 days before i put her in it and then changed the water weekly - 20%. Yes i learned that im feeding her too much, it was at about 15 a day so ive been gradually lowering it by a pellet every 2 days cuz someone told me to do it slowly so she wont bite her tail....

Silverfang - i honestly am not sure if it was the tank upgrade, the weird thing was she was great in it for 1 1/2 weeks... just had stress lines but totally acting herself... i am gonna try to take a sample into petsmart before i put her back in with the divider... does anyone know if either petsmart or petco does the water testing...??
Old 10-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #9 
tf1265

Whoops - I commented on another post of yours with a lot of info you don't need, based on this post. Sorry! There were many details you didn't mention so I commented on a lot of them - most of them you can ignore.

Here is what my advice came down to that might be helpful:

API liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH.

Give her time- bettas can be fickle about their space, give her another week or so before deciding the 10 gallon is just too large. You are right, sometimes bettas just like smaller spaces, but I believe there is usually more to it than that - something about the large space that isn't meeting their needs.

And as far as this post: tanks simply don't cycle in 3 days. And without testing the water, you really just have no way of knowing if it's cycled or not. You may be confused about what cycling means and how to do it, there are several very useful threads on cycling in this forum. You don't NEED a cycled tank for a single betta in a 10 gallon (and it will be virtually impossible in a 1 gallon), but I would venture to guess that your tank isn't cycled.

I would advise dividing the 10 gallon and putting another female on the other side. You won't need new equipment other than the divider, and they both will have ample swimming space, plus it might calm Violet down a bit with a smaller space. Make sure you line the divider (if it's clear mesh) with plants so they aren't in constant view of each other.

A sorority is always extremely risky, and I would get some more betta experience under your belt before trying that idea.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #10 
Kytkattin

^+1 for what tf1265 said!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote