Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #1 
ShyDog

Feeling kinda down (Fish Killer)

I recently lost some of my two favorite betta, Shydog and Dragon. Dragon I've had for about 7months and he recently just started acting funny. I kept an eye on him and took some solid advice from OFL but he just didn't make it. (Worried it was fish TB)

I was wondering, I feel like such a bad person and kind of a fish killer. When you guys started out keeping betta, how often did you loose fish?

:<

On a slightly happier note, my little girl finally started loosing her stress stripes , and is coloring up to a wonderful blue instead of the scary brown I found her as.
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:43 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

I lost my first two boys, Venom and Carnage in the same week, only 2 weeks after getting them. Then I did my research and slowly got back into Bettas. I've had the same six for the last 4 months :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #3 
ShyDog

Thanks Pitluvs,

I feel less horrible now. I know i'm doing something right, because my girl (Still havn't named her) and Posse are doing great, (Posse is actually jumping out of the water for food!) Just disheartening when you actually try to provide good living conditions for some spectacular fish, and it just isn't enough.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #4 
Pitluvs

When starting out there is always a few accidents that happen while we try to find what works for us and our fish. With my two boys, Venom was a freak accident. I switched my water conditioner because I thought what I was using wasn't good enough. I ended up giving him a chemical burn from an expired bottle I bought at WalMart. Now I know to use what i feel comfortable with, not with what everyone else uses. My boy Carnage got Ich, and I had so many people telling me 100 different things to do. So while I was beyond confused and overwhelmed, Carnage passed away. I am thinking stress did him in :( Now, I'm more calm about what I'm doing, I don't panic and I ask a few friends for advice. I have helped two get over their Swim Bladder Disease, one Ammonia Poisoning and one Ammonia burn. Most of what my fish come up with, I can treat. I recently lost a little girl that was sick when I took her home, Yuki, and it hurt me so bad :( But at least she didn't pass away in some pet store right? It's all just a matter of doing your best, and I am quite sure you did everything you could. Glad to hear your current bettas are doing well!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:57 AM   #5 
ShyDog

Thank you for your kind words, the mean a lot. I didn't get a whole lot of sleep over the last week because of this. Some of my friends seem to think that I just view them as 3 dollar fish, that I can replace when they die, but that's not the case :< . I want to be a good owner, and it's just hard nto to want to save every one you see at a petstore.

I'm thinking of starting a sorority if I can find a tank on creigs list.

females are so pretty, i'm surprised people don't pay attention to them as much.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #6 
trilobite

I've killed so many fish.
I recently killed my 3 dragon hmpks and my best female because there was a problem with the well water quality after the earthquake.. they showed signs of sickness so I did the larger and more frequent water changes. Ironically it was the water changes that killed them instead of saving them....
I seriously considered quitting bettas after that but then I found out what the problem of the water was and have since fixed it and regained my enthusiasm.

Dont let it get you down Fish die and will die and 99% of the time its our fault but finding out and learning from these experiences is what keeps this hobby so interesting and rewarding.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:19 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

I considered quitting as well, but someone on here told me that the joy os owning bettas far out weighs the hardships and sadness of loosing one. The amount of happy times I have had with my guys? I wouldn't trade that for the world, even if it meant avoiding the sadness when it comes time to let them go.

I have females too, I always liked them but never got into them. When I decided to breed bettas, I got a female from my local breeder... which turned into two in case my boys doesn't like the one I chose, and then three because I liked a black CT. Then I thought, might as well start a sorority and picked up two veiltails from the pet store! I love my girls!

My first betta in 2004 was a female :)
Old 10-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #8 
Luimeril

i lost four, back to back almost. lost purple, then only a few weeks later, Theo, then a few weeks after that, Zidane, then less than a week after that, my chappy. i feel horrid each time, but i know they lived happy lives with me, and i tried everything i could to help them.

that said, i'm sorry you lost your two. :<
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #9 
Indyfishy

I lost my two original males, Vincent and Finley, within a week of eachother this past July. I was crushed. Vincent had been dealing with an internal tumor for about six months, so I was prepared for his passing, but I was nowhere near prepared to lose Finley. I'm not even completely sure what was wrong with him, but it's suspected that he may have eaten some gravel. I felt terrible, but I didn't give up and I gave my two new bettas (Sully and Daisy) a very good home with me. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do for them. It's sad, but atleast they lived good lives and we got to enjoy them for a little while.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #10 
ShyDog

Thank you everyone for your kind support. I really appreciate the stories, and comfort. I really enjoy keeping fish, just in a small college town there's a limit to where you can get them from ^^. (walmart). I'm doing the best I can, and this forum has been nothing but helpful to me.