Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 02:56 AM   #1 
vilmarisv

Sand & Plants... Have you done it?

I'm planning to set up a sorority now that I got all settled in my new place.
I've always wanted to use sand as my substrate and wanted to get it now that I'm setting up a new tank.

BUT I also want plants, so...
Has anyone had any luck with plants in sand? I know it's not ideal because the same is too compact but I would like to hear if there are any success stories and how you do it.

All the other substrates ideal for plants that aren't gravel I've seen are black or too dark for my liking.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:59 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

I have live plants in sand in my 29g, I also have Malaysian Trumpet Snails to mix the sand up though.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:00 AM   #3 
Micho

You could do a layer of potting soil then a thin layer of sand, those usually turn out very well. :D
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:17 AM   #4 
Pitluvs

Usually when doing a layer of soil and sand, you should cover the tank floor (75%) with stem plants. I tried this with a 50% coverage and within 3 days my tank was rank and rotten.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:19 AM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

i've been racking my brain with this dilemma for 3 weeks now as i've been researching .. and trying to decided what substrate to use and how to get my tank to do what i want .. and look how i want .. and my bf saw this video on youtube that i can't find atm ..

basically in the video you set up a small barrier in your tank like 2- 3 in high .. that's completely removable just to get the sides even .. then lay the good for plants substrate (which is ascetically un-appealing to me) in the back half of your tank where it's not visible to the front visible parts and plant all your plants there .. then you lay your sand in the front side of the barrier .. for how you want it to look .. then remove the barrier .. and you get a great look .. while hiding the plant substrate .. which i'm probably going to go this route so i can get some plants in and have the nice sand look ^_^
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

I've managed a compromise between plants and cories in my tank - I have plants in a lovely border all around the edges, starting short at the front and getting tall and stem-planty towards the back, so maintaining the aquascaped look. Then up the centre, running under a driftwood tunnel at the back, I have a broad sandy strip. It looks really nice.
Plants, fish and aquascaper happy. ;)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

Pics or it didn't happen O_0
Old 10-23-2011, 04:49 AM   #8 
vilmarisv

Thanks for the input! I think I'm going to give it a go!
I will go to the LPS and check out what they have. I'm leaning towards white sand but if I find cery fine gravel in a light color, I might go fo that instead.
I'm guessing that plants like marimo balls, anubias and j ferns will have no problem with sand since they don't need to be under the substrate... I guess whatever I find will make my decision. I just don't want to set up the tank and realize a week later it's not what I wanted. It has happened before!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

Plants will grow fine in sand as long as the sand grain size isnt too tiny...I had troubles with playsand...But I am going to be using pool filter sand soon and I have seen some really nice planted tanks with pool filter sand...You will need the right lighting and root tab ferts. if you have heavy root feeders like cryptocoryne or swords.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Pics or it didn't happen O_0
If this is in reference to me...

Sorry about the picture quality.
Attached Images

Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote