dlite

Help with fin rot

29g
80F
1 betta
4 fancy guppies
20 neon tetras
1 clown pleco

My VT got fin rot over night Just last night I was admiring how healthy his tail has gotten since I bought him but today I noticed there are black parts on some of his tail webbing and also 2 pin sized holes. He doesn't have stress strips so I'm sure its the water quality problem I have right now.

Here were the test results I got before I did a 50% wc + gravel vac
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nirite: 5ppm
Nirate: 5-10ppm

I finished my fish tank cycle with 5 feeder goldfish that have since been re-homed but I think I caused my tank to recycle after stocking too quickly and over-feeding. Every since I got my clown pleco, I have been over-feeding algae disks, shrimp pellets and also leaving zucchinis in the tank for long periods of time, the shy pleco always hid and never touched the food, the bio-load of this 2inch clown pleco is huge because it eats so much driftwood, I have had to gravel vac his driftwood area of food/waste everyday.

So what should I do about my betta and his slowly deteriorating tail and do I treat the whole tank or put the betta in a bucket for now?
dlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would QT the Betta in a small bare bottom container with a lid and float it in the heated tank to maintain the temp in the 76-78F range...be sure and attach the QT so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter and start a clean water treatment for now....Fresh-like temp dechlorinated water 100% daily and post a pic so we will know how bad it is-he may need a salt treatment-

Good nutrition- good quality diet fed in small frequent meals...one meal needs to be high protein...If you have any tannins from either IAL or dried Oak leaf this will help too

How much and how often are the water changes on the 29gal, how long has it been running, type of filter, how deep is the substrate-any live plants....

I would keep doing water changes until the nitrite is 0.25ppm or lower..Ideally 0ppm is what you want...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #3 
dlite

Tank has been running since October 1st, 2011
Housing
What size is your tank? 29g
Substrate: 2inches of round white gravel
Plants: 1 marimo ball
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? TopFin30 & Penguin200(DIY baffles installed)
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 20 neon tetras, 4 fancy guppies, 8 ghost shrimp & 1 clown pleco

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets and Nutrafin freeze-dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I have been doing daily 20%-50% wc and gravel vac for the last 1 week & a 1/2
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? TopFin Water Conditioner
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
API FW Master Test Kit
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:5.0ppm
Nitrate:5ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Darker around the edges of his tail, deeper indents in the tail webbing and 2 pin sized holes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I'm going to do 50% or more water changes daily
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no clue
How old is your fish (approximately)? no clue

Thank you for the response Oldfishlady, I currently do not have a clean container to QT the betta in, I will be either buying a 1g tank OR a large Tupperware container tomorrow after work. I also have an extra pre-set 100watt heater that came with my 29g kit that I haven't used yet, can I safely use it in a 1g plastic tank?

I have no ideal as to why my test results is still saying Nirite: 5ppm, I have done 2 water changes today(morning & evening) both times were 50% and also gravel vacuumed. The Nirite reading was 5ppm before and after the waterchanges
Edit: I have to get myself a decent camera soon

Last edited by dlite; 10-23-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #4 
dlite

Here are some pictures I captured with my webcam

Edit: I'm not sure if he is a VT or a damaged Spade, does anyone know?
Attached Images

Last edited by dlite; 10-23-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #5 
youlovegnats

That actually doesn't look like fin rot to me. Fin rot has torn/tattered fins with black edging. This just looks like his coloration to me. :)
He's def. a VT though. ^^
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #6 
chicagojo

Hi - not meaning to hijack this thread here but I am currently on day 3 of 100% water change (as he is currently in a temporary 1 gallon bowl) w/AQ salt treatments for fin rot for my daughter's betta, but the "condition" I'm treating looks suspiciously similar to dlite's pics so I wanted to see if someone can give an opinion as to whether the fish in this pic looks like it has fin rot? (sorry the pic quality is not so great; the second pic is slightly less recent but in better focus; the plastic plant shown has since been removed from the bowl and might account for the condition of his fins).

If this does not appear to be fin rot, is it ok to abruptly discontinue the AQ salt treatment after 3 days? I have not really noticed much change since I began and am starting to wonder if it is just this fish's natural coloring (he looked like this when we got him a little over 2 wks ago)
Attached Images

chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #7 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojo View Post
Hi - not meaning to hijack this thread here but I am currently on day 3 of 100% water change (as he is currently in a temporary 1 gallon bowl) w/AQ salt treatments for fin rot for my daughter's betta, but the "condition" I'm treating looks suspiciously similar to dlite's pics so I wanted to see if someone can give an opinion as to whether the fish in this pic looks like it has fin rot? (sorry the pic quality is not so great; the second pic is slightly less recent but in better focus; the plastic plant shown has since been removed from the bowl and might account for the condition of his fins).

If this does not appear to be fin rot, is it ok to abruptly discontinue the AQ salt treatment after 3 days? I have not really noticed much change since I began and am starting to wonder if it is just this fish's natural coloring (he looked like this when we got him a little over 2 wks ago)
Yes, that looks just like normal fin coloration and not fin rot. :)
You can stop the AQ salt, it won't hurt him.
This is what fin rot looks like. Tattered edges/missing fins and black edging.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #8 
chicagojo

Thank you so much!!! I have been really paranoid about the health of our bettas ever since we had one die unexpectedly a few weeks ago. I think I am seeing issues where they don't really exist. Since he is in a QT tank right now I am going to take the opportunity to give everything in his regular home a good thorough rinse and then move him back, sit back and enjoy his beautiful coloration!
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #9 
youlovegnats

:) Sounds good! That happens to mostly everyone on here, I think, lol. Whenever I have a fish die unexpectedly I think that the whole tank must have been infected and I keep seeing these pseudo illnesses, lol.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #10 
dlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
That actually doesn't look like fin rot to me. Fin rot has torn/tattered fins with black edging. This just looks like his coloration to me. :)
He's def. a VT though. ^^
Thanks for the reply, it just worried me that the black edges on my betta's tail appeared overnight and I also noticed 2 pin sized holes, EDIT: what the hell, while typing this, I noticed a medium sized Neon Tetra nipping at my betta's tail, the betta was trying to position itself away for like 15 seconds, WTF?! I thought Neon Tetras are suppose to be very shy and peaceful..

Well I will have to get better HQ pictures of parts of my betta's fin because I still think its mild fin rot, I will do another 50% wc until I get a container to float him in