Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #1 
MidnightFlare

White Strings on Pectoral Fin

Two days ago I received my first betta fish! He is a red-blue crowntail. He is now in a 1 gallon bowl, with no filter/heater. He has one plant that seems to be dying.
But just yesterday I noticed he got one white transparent string on each side of his pectoral fins. It wasn't there an hour before. On one side it was longer than the other.
Today its gone, and I hope it doesn't come back. What do you think it could be?
MidnightFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #2 
missm83

hi :)
im glad his better...it could be excess slim coat...but for the future do you use any water dechlorinator?
anything from having something on your hands and you putting them in the water or maybe from the plant that wasn't washed well enough...and you should try getting a heater for him as well...do you know what the temp of his water is?? betta need 78-80. i had a problem with heating a 1 gallon so i invested in 2.5 gallon mini bowl...my boy loves the extra space and it comes with a filter. how often do you change the water?..in a 1 gallon i would do no less then every 2 days 100%water change...
and what kind of plant did you get?? if its dieing get rid of it or try to return it and look for a better full aquatic plants.
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #3 
Silverfang

I have to agree, it does sound like he might have been shedding his slime coat
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #4 
MidnightFlare

The tempurature is 70 at night and 75 during the day. I try to heat it up as much as I can but its hard.

I do have water conditioner, I didn't use it yet. They gave me water from their tanks to use at first. I'll use it when I switch the water. I was wondering if the fish could still be in the tank while adding the conditioner, or should it first settle.

Thanks for your help!
MidnightFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #5 
valleyankee

Did you ever post a full size photo of him? and his home?
valleyankee is offline   Reply With Quote