Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #1 
BettaMiah

Really, Yuuki? Again? And how to do this?

Yuuki is super bloated. Gosh, he looks like he has dropsy. (I know he doesn't have it because he is not lethargic, swimming like crazy, not pineconed). Gosh, he only gets 3 pellets a day with some snacks here and there. How?

Also, he looks awful. He tailbited for the first time ever (He has stopped now he has the whole tank to himself again) and his dorsal fin shredded into two (Almost grew back, it has been like 2 days!) But his tail has a huge split, is missing a chunk, and is all bitten. How do I promote fin re-growth? (For those who do not know, he got shredded because he got across the divider, not abuse or spiky plants or anything)
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

I would address the bloat first, then worry about the fins.

Do you have any frozen daphnia or brine shrimp? These help with digestion. What are his snacks? If they are freeze dried bloodworms you should stop giving him any (possibly forever). They commonly cause bloat. Epsom salt also helps with digestion. I don't remember the ratio, but I think it is 1 tsp per gallon.
Make sure your epsom salts dont have any extra scents or anything in them.
Of course, fast him for a few days as well. He doesn't need food, he just wants it.

For the fins, clean water goes a long way in helping them regrow. AQ salt in the same ratio as above will help for a while, but don't use them for more than a week. They actually don't help the growth, but make sure the fins don't get infected. Tannins from IALs are supposed to help regrowth if you have them. I don't know if this has been proven, but it does help their immune systems.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #3 
BettaMiah

I don't have any of the stuff you mentioned. I know, I am fasting him and Ryu, even though he doesn't really have a belly.

I do give very sparse freeze dried Bloodworms, but I have been training Yuuki to do some more tricks with JumboKrill. Which I just checked and found it is freeze-dried. *facepalm*
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Since krill doesn't have as much fiber as a pellet, they tend to cause a little more bloating.

If you're going to feed freeze dried, which is ok to feed, just be sure to soften it up in tank water first.

I use krill as a meal replacement occasionally for the higher protein content.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote