Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #1 
bastage

Whats a Betta newb to know before stocking a Sorority

So I am getting a 20g Acrylic this Thursday for a good price (50 bucks including gravel, filter, hood, & light).

So I plan to get it home & thoroughly clean everything & then get water & a heater into it & get the filter flowing (will make a baffle as well before the fish go in). I Anticipate just a couple small cleaners in the tank with the betta's (maybe snails so when they have baby's the betta's get snacks). I Know that I will need plenty of plant's & hiding space.

How many female's can I have in a 20g tank. Also what are the Do's & Dont's that I probably don't know yet?

also my only other direct experience with betta's is the 3 males I have in there own 2.5 gallon tanks. I do plan to eventually breed the little fishy's mostly as a learning experience for my daughter.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #2 
Nubster

My understanding is you should have at least 5 fish in a sorority. As to how many can go in a 20g tank...not sure. I would thing you'd have no problem with at least the 5 in the tank plus the few cleaners you are thinking about.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #3 
1983SS454

I currently have 5 in my planted 10 gallon, you could probably do 7 in a 20 gallon and it wouldn't be too bad.... If you haven't cycled your tank yet I wouldn't put all 7 in right away thou. Adding them together is stressful enough as it is without the stress of ammonia and nitrite in the water. I actually just added my 5th fish this past weekend, as soon on the nipping starts the 1st night I turn out the lights, they go to sleep, then start over the next morning. The 1st day will be stressful on you as well, don't get worked up over some fin nipping, it will happen. Today is the 4th day with the new fish and they were all best friends this morning..... The idea is to try to get all of the them around the same size, have all big ones and one tiny one and they will gang up on her... You can mix different tails in your sorority, they don't all have to be veil tails or crowntails ect. Just a warning in my experience so far the crowntails seem to be the most aggressive in the sorortity. My new one from this past weekend went right up to the larger veil tail who was the dominate one of the tank, grabbed a mouthful of her tail and chased her around the tank. She's the new tank boss, go figure
1983SS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #4 
1983SS454

Oh ya almost forgot, make sure your females all look different. Get a red, blue, white, purple, green ect. They seem to fight less this way as well
1983SS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #5 
bastage

I was planning on different colors, but since all of my males are crown's a was going to Getty the girls in all crown's as well.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

I have 2 black, 2 blue dragons and a lavender girl in my tank. No issues with color here. If anything, the ones that look alike get along with each other better.

If you can, get girls from the same sorority, same batch of fry. Female tanks are hard, you gotta be prepared for them to full out want to kill each other at the drop of a hat, so make sure you have spare tanks or a means to separate them. Start out with 5, that's the minimum. That way there are less personalities clashing. You really got to get to know your girls in order to have a successful sorority. I wish you lots of good luck, as these can be the trickiest tanks to keep civil lol

And please, don't breed to give children learning experiences. Buy a book, much cheaper. If you plan to breed, that's great but do it for yourself and the fish.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #7 
bastage

fish are for my daughter. And I can't think of a better reason to do something that will ultimately cost money with no return then too help my daughter learn new things and have new lasting memories.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:23 AM   #8 
Bombalurina

Make sure you plant or decorate it really heavily. In the wild, males like to build their own territories. Females don't care so much about territories, it's more about personal space for them. They'll need a little bit of room to get away from each other if they want to. :)
In a 20 I'd go with 8 (I have 6 in my 16 gallon).
If you can find a place that keeps all their females in the same tank, go for those girls over those kept in seperate tanks, since they are used to each other. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #9 
bastage

I haven't seen anyplace locally that keeps females together, but that's a valid point so I will call around to be sure I am not missing any before I buy.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #10 
bastage

Well I Got the tank today.. It needs some cleaning as there is tape & tape remnants all over it from the previous owner. Its in pretty good shape though so I am happy with my 50 dollar acrylic 20 dollar aquarium..

Have some questions though. Do I need to worry about an under gravel filter? Its been my experience from past fish when using them that they moved ALOT of water out of whatever it was doing the sucking. So I am thinking I should leave this out. The Tank came with a good filter thats going to need a baffel anyway (it was moving water as fast as my kitchen sink could get it to go when testing to see if it worked). The filter is a Aqueon QuietFlow 20.

She also sent along a 50w adjustable heater & a couple gallon baggies of gravel with assorted other nifty shiny things in it, Plus a siphon which I didnt already have so that will be handy.