Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #1 
atteb

a few betta questions

Can anyone tell me if ph has anything to do with bettas colors changing?

Is there any foods that would effect the color of a white betta from staying pure white?
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Ph has nothing to do with their coloring. Clean water does...

Are you talking about the betta in your avatar? I am afraid that there is a good chance that fish will change color. He looks like a marble. You need to feed a good food and not worry if it changes his color. It is coded in his genes that it will happen. Unless you are a super-scientist there is nothing you can do.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #3 
atteb

Thanks, actually the betta I am talking about is my new halfmoon white, it is not 100% perfect white by anymeans but the closest to a solid white I have been able to get here in years.

The one in my avatar is my cellophane I know he will change a bit, at that time I bought him he was the closest to white which he is not but I snapped him up because I do like him as well.

I was just wondering about the ph as we have very high ph water here, I do add almond leaf extract to all my bettas water plus prime as well.

Here is a pic of my new boy his tail is not full yet as he is young and I cannot wait for him to grow out.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

So pretty! But still no, if he is going to change it is going to happen. Hopefully he doesn't for you.

The only thing I might guess is that warmer water might darken them? I have wondered that as my tank has been holding at 84-86 and my old boy of 2 years is getting more black than he had before (drawing of him for my avi) and my new boy went super dark from a light blue/white. But that would be the opposite of leopard geckos that get dark when they get cold.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

he looks like the tips of his fins will color up either solid white and have a little black streak or some black pigments .. as i think i see a little bit of black on his belly .. unless that's a shadow .. but form the picture .. he won't change color other then the clear parts turning white/black
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #6 
atteb

Oh I sure hope he stays as solid white as possible, yes that it a tiny touch of black on the belly, I hope that goes away.

I love your avatar of your betta Hatsunemiku what a beauty.

I sure hope he turns out to be a HM, I have kept many many bettas in my time but never a HM so this is myfirst one.

I just love white bettas no matter what kind of tail type, they are my favorite.

Is there any foods that one should avoid feeding white bettas?

I will watch for the temp too, I have just gone through a nightmare with that. I keep my boys in 1 gal tanks, 4 of them are room temp and the two main ones are heated. During the summer months the tanks heated up quite hot even with central air we have. My beautiful Doubletail blue/yellow his fins wer shredded looking and still are trying to recover. Now I don't know if that was from the higher water temp or him acting like a moron at the other betta beside him and getting his fins are taggered. Since I have put him in a unheated tank his fins are growing back very nicely now so this will be a wait and see.

The temp for them in unheated is 69-70 and in heated right now as its cooler here winter on the way it is 78 so I guess trial and error for this.