Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #1 
freeflow246

SBD and inflamed gills after water change?

So I have a 2.5 gal, and I change 50% of the water on Wednesday and 100% on Sunday. Some personal issues popped up, and I was so stressed that I forgot to change 50% of my fish's water until Friday. I know, it's terrible, and I deserve any reprimands I get, but at least I didn't purposefully neglect him.
Anyway, despite the fact that I changed 50% of the water on Friday, it was looking a little meh yesterday, so I changed another 20% or so, just to be safe. This morning I fed him, and he was fine. This afternoon, I go to start his 100% water change, and he's floating at the surface of the water, gills wide open, almost like he was flaring. In a panic, I set up my 1 gal with about 1/2 tbp aquarium salt, my normal water conditioner, and a few drops of methylene blue (however you spell that). I scrubbed his thermometer, heater, and log and set them in there too. His gills are much better, and he seems to be swimming easier. I'm hoping that the 1 gal will heat up a little more than the 2.5 gal.
Any idea what could have caused this? Looking back, I do probably feed him too much, but he's not constipated (that I know of), and his tank was around 76-78 degrees. How should I proceed with his treatment? I'm gonna keep an eye on how much he poos, so how often does a betta usually poo?
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #2 
youlovegnats

I think he just might have slight bloating. Don't worry about the water changes, lol. Everyone has personal issues at some point or another, and it seems like you take very good care of him :))
I'd skip of feeding or a day or too and see if he doesn't poo. Bettas usually poo once a day, depending on how much you feed. But for now it doesn't sound like a problem. ^^
You can actually make him flare a bit and see if he doesn't poo. That's a handy trick to have :) Mine poo right after a flare session. :D
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #3 
freeflow246

Thanks! I'll do that. One of his gills is still slightly inflamed. Should I worry about it?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #4 
chicagojo

I am a total newbie here so this is based on what a more senior member told me last week when my betta had SBD, but my understanding is that AQ salt can actually make bloating worse. I was told to use epsom salt for my betta, but he had completely full-blown SBD - floating on the side, body curved in an s-shape, etc so your situation may be different. I just saw that you had used AQ salt and since someone wiser and more experienced just told me not to do that for a bloated fish, I thought I'd pass that tip along...
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #5 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow246 View Post
Thanks! I'll do that. One of his gills is still slightly inflamed. Should I worry about it?
I would just wait it out to see if it doesn't fix itself- these things usually do with just regular water changes.
Chicago would be correct on the salt situation. "AQ for the outside ES for the inside".
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #6 
freeflow246

Yea, I didn't remember until later that AQ salt can make SBD worse, but it was a little too late then. His floating is not as bad, so I'm assuming it was/is constipation. I was more worried about his gills, tbh, because one of his gills is slightly deformed and more prone to irritation.