Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #1 
BettaMiah

I want to breed!

How can I convince my parents to let me breed? Let me get more tanks?

My parents do not want any more pets, fish or not. So I don't think they'll let me breed Bettas. I just want to do it to try to make some beautiful Bettas, and sell them to good owners. And i'll problably con my way out out of keeping some.

How can I convince them? Tell them its only for the money? Can you tell me how many tanks and how many gallons I would need each? Or if I could use bins? (I have some very large bins....)
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Hi Miah it would be hard to convince it is for money, but yes you can use bins, shallow buckets... Just remember to get microworms or other live foods, and even some almond or oak leaves (dried). Ebay has awesome prices for the leaves as I got some for under two dollars using a vanilla mastercard (prepaid card :) ) so yeah. Make sure to get the set up first, hae back up plans and look for jars when you need to jar any fry! Use the bins as long as you can heat them with a heater and keep cyran wrap with some holes, to keep it humid for growing fry.

Good luck.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #3 
BettaMiah

I can manage all of that, I heat my tanks (Well the betta ones and the Shrimp one) with a very strong light, plus my room gets real hot.

How much would this all cost?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

Breeding bettas doesn't make money if you do it right. You stand to loose money. Many of the breeders on this site will tell you they have put a minimum of $500 into breeding just one spawn (for all the equipment).

Instead of breeding you should just focus on caring for the pets you have now. When you have your own home then you can decide if breeding bettas is something you want to do, but if your parents are not interested, it would be disrespectful to ask them to house such a great responsibility. Factor in space, heating, water, pumps, electricity, etc. And what if no one buys them? What are you going to do with 100+ fish in little jars that need to be changed every day (because there is no way 100 fish are each getting even a gallon!)?
Love the pets you have now. :)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #5 
Luimeril

it can cost HUNDREDS to set up everything you'd need. breeding bettas isn't easy, nor is it very cheap. i've been wanting to breed for months now, but haven't had the space, nor money.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #6 
ksage505

As much as it costs to breed in the first place, you're going to have a difficult time convincing your parents this is going to make you money. You'll need a grow out tank of at least 20 gallons, fry food, foods to condition your pair, tons or jars, heat and filtration for the fry, meds if they become sick, etc.. There's also all the supplies you'll need to ship the actual fish, boxes, foam, bags for the fish, heating pads. There's also the chance you'll end up buying all the fry supplies and something will go wrong and you'll lose all your fry. I don't mean to be negative here but I think you'll have to take another approach than making money when it comes to breeding. Its very likely you'll spend more than you make.

Maybe if you can save up your money and afford all the supplies you need without your parents chipping in, they'll be ok with it. Show them your responsible enough and its something you really want to do.

Last edited by ksage505; 10-23-2011 at 09:38 PM.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #7 
BettaMiah

Yeah, this sounds difficult. Could I get a 20G grow out bin? Or do I need a legit 20 gallon tank?

I know, I love my pets, absolutely, but I always have time, room, and the money for more.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Trust me you definitely need time for the fry for at least their first week :) lots of feeding! I would know lol.
Preferably for a grow out tank get an actual tank... Because then it can hold a healthy cycle.

Also if you still want to breed I strongly suggest getting a sponge filter ready which includes cycling... This will keep your breeding tank from ending up like mine which went into a mini cycle! Otherwise you will need to keep aj eye on it more often.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #9 
bahamut285

Okay, please don't take this the wrong way because I am definitely not intentionally trying to be mean or rude... :(

I personally think that breeding is awesome, I want to try it myself one day, but as everybody pointed out, including Sena, that it is both time consuming and expensive.

If I were in your position, I would be currently spending your time, resources and parent-convincing energy into finding a larger tank for Beau and Echo :/

However if you insist on breeding then I wish you the best of luck and hope to see a spawn log, I'd be interested to see how it turns out.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:05 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Very consuming :) trust me you will want to have medications on hand (I have yet to need some but ordered it recently for a second eventual spawn as a just in case), live foods, containers, baster, sponge filter, tanks (plural because you can have 7 fry or 200 fry!)... It's exhausting lol :) do lots of research. I mean I had pages and pages of research plus looking on here and I didn't know everything.

But, if you do decide to spawn you can always ask for help.