Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #41 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I agree with Lighterman :) plus, one thing, if you have growth runts (rather than deformed runts which most usually die off anyways) you'll have to separate them from their larger siblings, like I did, to ensure you'll have a larger surviving batch. Plus you never know the smallest could be the prettiest
The runt from my 1st spawn turned out to be all cellophane with blue/green iridescence all over. He's so pretty!~
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #42 
Sena Hansler

Exactly :) Which is why, even though some people feel they should be culled I say hold onto them and give them the time they need to be pretty! Because for instance... In a spawn where most of the fry end up dark blue, you might just get the runt who turns into the dark blue with metallics, or something. Or might have the best finnage. You never know - which is why research is where it's at :) asking questions on here too!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #43 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Exactly :) Which is why, even though some people feel they should be culled I say hold onto them and give them the time they need to be pretty! Because for instance... In a spawn where most of the fry end up dark blue, you might just get the runt who turns into the dark blue with metallics, or something. Or might have the best finnage. You never know - which is why research is where it's at :) asking questions on here too!
I'm not sure why anyone would cull a runt...breeders (including myself) usually just cull the ones that are deformed or have SBD. :/ Just because they are small doesn't mean that they won't turn out beautiful.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #44 
Sena Hansler

I've heard of it >< But exactly, why bother :) Just 'cause they are slower doesn't mean you have to leave them behind. Still a responsibility. I also found out a side note... separate bigger babies from the small (like I did using large bins), and do more water changes, like 50% daily and this drops the hormones they give out that slows growth. I'm trying it. See? I did not know that even after breeding o.o You always learn
Old 10-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #45 
tpocicat

Not to mention (the hardest or me) you need major patience! It takes weeks before any color begins to show, and months before you know how or what type of fins you have!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #46 
Sena Hansler

Agreed!! My fry only has the usual offwhite-ish color, or an odd orangey color (hmm interesting), but in a couple months they all should be showing signs of color and...well gender I mixed PK with VT, which reminds me... I do not have the link but someone on here does, about betta genetics and determining what most you'd get. Like, VT is dominant, for instance - so expect VT if that is what you have. Same goes with colors, and even patterns - like butterfly being dominant, and black is recessive though royale blue is dominant... there is so much! ><
Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #47 
youlovegnats

It's easy to do a basic hybrid cross or dihybrid cross- punnett square. The hard thing is figuring out the variables. ><' Cuz you're not always going to get exactly what the square came out to be. You'll have co-dominance in some genes as well. Plus there can be more than one allele for each gene. 8C
Old 10-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #48 
Sena Hansler

Yup. And if you get a pet store betta you may even have a "who in the world gave me a somethingorotherinthemix??!!!!!" xDD If I get that, I am totally keeping him/her hehe :3 For instance, take two pet store VT, you may even have a PK in the mix o_O you never know.