Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 
erinandares

Pink Dragon and Potential MG!

I recently got a new baby, Phaistos. He's a pink dragon DeT, and he's GORGEOUS!. He's in the twenty gal now, with two others, Spiridion (a VT rescue recovering from fin rot) and Hermes (Multi-blue VT). Ares has to stay out of the tank because he's a homicidal sociopath (he's back in the one gallon bowl for now... >.>), but a-a-a-anyway, my friend took a whole bunch of pics of my fish on her camera, so I figured I could put them up here. :3 Not all the fish got equal camera time, bc Phaistos was her favorite. And Spiridion wouldn't stay still.

Here's Phaistos:

Here's Spiridion (one of his plants came loose!!):

You can see his fin rot here... Poor baby. There's a story behind that one. >.> One of those "I said I was just looking, I said I was just looking!" things. Sigh.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #2 
BellasMomma

Well they r all very beautiful fish! I especially like the first one - Phaistos im pretty sure... i see u have a divided tank, i have a few questions if u wouldnt mind answering the ones u can... can they see eachother through the mesh? should i get another thermometer so i can have one on each side of the tank - gonna divide a 10 gallon in half. do u find the heat distributes pretty evenly throughout the tank?
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #3 
erinandares

Well, right now, they can partially see each other, since I'm still getting more plants for them. >.> But I only have one thermometer. The tank is divided in three, and the heater is on the far right and the thermometer is on the far right. Water passes easily through the mesh. And as far as I'm aware, heat distributes pretty evenly. I've heard people say putting it right next to the filter out-flow thingy helps distribute it, though. :3

Yes, the first one is Phaistos. He has two little deformed fins, so he can't swim well unless there's zero current (which has been addressed in his living space ;) ) so I named him after the lame greek god of metalwork, Hephaistos. Lol.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #4 
BellasMomma

aww poor little guy! hes lucky he was saved by someone who understands his needs!! thanks for the info on the divided tank! do u have just one filter or do they all have their own... if theres just one how often r u doing the water changes..? and do u notice the sides without the filter look cloudy. i have a pretty good filter - bio wheel 100 and it keeps the tank looking great. i had planned on getting a second filter, do u think its needed... thanks again
Old 10-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #5 
erinandares

Not so sure on the filter thing... I just know it threw my poor cripple fish around like a rag doll, even baffled. So I had to put him in the side that didn't get any of the water pouring into it. The way my hood is cut and the filter fits in it (I got it secondhand) It pours into two of the sections. But I've only had it set up for like, three days. So the water hasn't been cloudy. I'm planning on doing a partial change tonight. It's new to me, so starting the cycle. I just didn't want to keep my fishies in bowls anymore, you know? So I opted to stay on top of the water changes and junk while it cycled with them in it... And I just realized that I messed up! The heater is on the far right, the thermometer on the far LEFT. Grr, braindead moment! Sorry. Lol. I know this is probably little help. >.<
Old 10-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #6 
BellasMomma

no no thank u!! so the heater and thermometer r on opposite ends... thats what i was thinking to do, i also have a therm. strip on my tank and it has always matched the glass therm. exactly. u said yer filter falls into two sides, did u cut the mesh around the filter or did it just happen to work out with no changes... i was gonna try to cut it so the filter would fall into both halves but my Violet loves to play in the filter, shed probably end up on the wrong side of the tank! i too did the cycle with the fish cuz my poor baby was stressing out with water changes every day in her 1 gallon bowl. i know she liked the clean water that came after the change just not the being taken out of her home... thanks so much!!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #7 
erinandares

The mesh comes up to right below the filter, so I didn't have to cut it special, or anything. And once again, my brain is dead. Lol, it's only been two days. Still gona do the change on their water, though. >.< My Hermes loves to play in the filter bubbles. He's so cute, half the time he swims into the bubbles, the other half he's chilling at the front of the tank just looking at me from across the room. :3

He hasn't ended up on the other side of the mesh, but Phaistos found a tiny opening in the bottom where it wasn't stuck in the divider that I had missed and nosed his way into Spiridion's section. Needless to say, I flipped out and Phaistos, who thought he was going to attack Spiridion, couldn't even swim two inches away from the mesh without being caught up against it again... Ugh. I fixed that. Lol.

I don't think there will be any issues with the filter, since the bubbles would probably prevent them from jumping. And putting mesh over the tube would prevent them from getting sucked up in there and plopped out on the other side, I think. I would say dividing a tank is really trying of (at least *my*) patience, but worth it in the end. Lol.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #8 
BellasMomma

wow thats crazy glad hes ok!!! im gonna really make sure then thats theres no little openings! thanks a bunch for the help, i may be coming back with more questoins.. hope u dont mind!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #9 
erinandares

Nah, it's cool. Good luck on your tank!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #10 
BellasMomma

well i did it!! I got a CT, my husband picked him out. So far its Violet who flares he just ignores her...
Attached Images