Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #1 
ShyDog

Unfiltered 10 gallon tank

Sorry to noob this up again, but search isn't giving me the results i'm looking for.

If I were to set up a sorority in a 10 gallon tank (planted with a mixture of silk and real) with about 5 female betta, and some shrimp. Would I need to have a filter? It would be heated ofcourse.
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #2 
BellasMomma

a filter would be best. without a filter the water is gonna get dirty quickly, i do 20% water changes every week and i have a filter. but i like my tank looking spectacular... id say as long as u do the appropriate water changes it will be fine
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

Another advantage of the filter is that it would circulate the heat more evenly, so you don't risk having cold spots and hot spots, it all stays nicely warm. Strictly speaking, you don't have to, but I really don't think there is any advantage to not having one in a tank as large as ten gallons. Way more work for you if you don't, which equals more stress for your girls.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 AM   #4 
Kytkattin

Just be honest with yourself about actually being able to do the required water changes. Say you have 4-5 females, that is about 2 gallons per fish, you will need to do one 50% and one 100% a week, if it can even work out like that... For all I know it would get too toxic too quick with that many fish? Make sure you have a liquid ammonia test kit so you can monitor them closely to figure out how often you will need to change the water.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #5 
ShyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Just be honest with yourself about actually being able to do the required water changes. Say you have 4-5 females, that is about 2 gallons per fish, you will need to do one 50% and one 100% a week, if it can even work out like that... For all I know it would get too toxic too quick with that many fish? Make sure you have a liquid ammonia test kit so you can monitor them closely to figure out how often you will need to change the water.
water changes is something I honestly enjoy doing, I keep alot of plants to begin with, and taking care of my fish is just something I fold into my daily activities. I'm not saying I wouldn't get a filter eventually, but i'd rather get a fairly decent one, and it sounds like it would get a bit pricey.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #6 
Micho

Also you can't really cycle your tank without a filter, your filter is where the beneficial bacteria colonize.

So unfiltered, uncycled, I don't like the sound of that.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #7 
youlovegnats

It's usually best to cycle anything over 5 gallons. But if you keep up with the water changes, I think you should be alright. :)
Like Kyt said, one 100% and one 50% a week. :))
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #8 
ShyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
It's usually best to cycle anything over 5 gallons. But if you keep up with the water changes, I think you should be alright. :)
Like Kyt said, one 100% and one 50% a week. :))
thanks, i'm still hoping on a deal from Craig's list, but not keeping my hopes up. If I get the deal, i'll have pretty decent set up, but if not i'll have to get creative.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #9 
youlovegnats

Meijer has really good deals on tanks. I got a 32 gal. for $30 :)
I think their 10 gals. are around $10-20.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #10 
Kytkattin

With enough plants and few enough fish, it could potentially cycle without a filter. However, this balance would be very difficult and probably not possible with a 10 gallon and enough girls to make a sorority.

If you are up for the water changes, just make sure you can test the water. They might look fine but really need their water changed.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote