Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #1 
tracyalexa

Thanks to my church...

I now have 5 female bettas. They bought them for a game. Actually they bought 9. It was COLD today and there they were sitting outside!! I wasn't happy & promptly took all of them to my car. My girls saw them and immediately played the game, winning 5 of the 9. Off to Petco we went, purchased a 10 gl tank, filter & heater....plus a few live plants. They are all in the new tank now.

*One if VERY mean. I am wondering if maybe it's a male pk? She a tiny bit bigger than the others and flares at them. If one comes too close, she strikes. Is that normal behavior for a female??

Last edited by tracyalexa; 10-23-2011 at 08:47 PM.
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Please post pictures of the un-identified, possibly boy! Preferably flaring...

Maybe talk to your pastor, tell them why it is wrong to have the fish as prizes because of how much work they are and how when they are won like that they are often neglected and abused.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #3 
Luimeril

that was VERY nice of you, and your girls!

i agree. talk to your pastor. explain to them, that they're NOT as easy to care for as many are led to believe, and tell them how much work it really is, not only to care for such small tanks, but how much they thrive in larger tanks.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #4 
tracyalexa

Thanks for the feedback. I did let them know that these guys aren't the "end all be all" of fish. They are sensitive to the cold and they aren't easy to just throw in a tiny container & be ok. I think they could tell immediately that I wasn't happy. I tried hiding it but that's not so easy for me. lol. I am TRYING to get a photo of the female/male. She's chasing one of the others around and nipping. But then she will go back to her own area. She def doesn't flare like a full male would. It's a tiny flare....like very quick and not as full as a male. It's confusing. But I did do some research and I see that they have to establish who the boss is going to be and get a pecking order going, so I assume that's what's going on right now.

3 are blue, 1 is greenish blue and the other is cambodian? white w/ red. She's the cutest, and calmest by far. One has blue lipstick...she is way adorable!!

It's def different than single tank males who just live in peace. These girls are all over the place, exploring and chasing and keeping me busy watching!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #5 
Luimeril

try getting her/him out into a small container, maybe a betta cup or small spare tank if you have one. that way, you could get a good pic of her/him. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #6 
tracyalexa

I will def do that tomorrow. :)
Old 10-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

Not all girls are cut out for sorority living, so she might need her own tank even if it is a girl. Also, make sure that the tank is heavily planted and broken up with lots of places to hid. You shouldn't be able to see the other side of the tank when you look in the side. It will help a lot with their stress levels if the tank is basically a jungle.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #8 
tracyalexa

Its very planted with real floating plants, some fake ones. Only one seems to hang out near the bottom so I am thinking of getting a cave for her. They were all safe this morning. Hoping for the same when I get home tonight!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maybe get a couple of caves so they have places to get away from each othger. Good luck with them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #10 
tracyalexa

Ok, so there are TWO that I have questions on. The first pic is the first question. The remainder are all of the 2nd one I am questioning. I wish I could get better pics but here goes. Are they girls or boys? The 2nd one is VERY aggressive and chases and bites all the others (except the white & red, they leave her alone for some reason!)
Name:  22.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  2222.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  19.1 KB

Name:  111.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  17.1 KB

Name:  6278125089_8c6926b205.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  27.2 KB