Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #1 
NightxFury

Unhappy Trouble with three betta. Depression? SBD?

Alright. I have three betta afflicted right now, two crowntails (Cassio and Wheatley) and one Halfmoon (Simple).

Originally Cassio and Simple were tankmates in a split 10gal when I noticed that Cassio was moping about in a slightly odd fashion. He wasn't really struggling or in pain, from what I could tell, but he's typically an active and vibrant fish who loves it when I come into the room or even twitch in his presence.

When I noticed his personality shift (last week, maybe Wednesday), I moved him to a smaller 3gal (Wheatley's tank) and moved Wheatley into Cassio's old slot in the 10gal.

Simple seemed completely unafflicted and has been swimming around just fine aside from some minor bloating which I noticed last night (Sunday, 10/23).

However, now Wheatley is showing the same moping tendencies that Cassio was, except he does seem to be struggling. So, essentially, it works like this:

Cassio + Simple in a split 10gal maintaining 74-76F. Wheatley in a 3gal maintaining the same temperature.

Cassio starts being lethargic, laying at the bottom of his tank or propping himself against plants. Move him to the 3gal and Wheatley to the 10gal. Simple is unaffected.

Four days later, Wheatley is lethargic and struggling to hover properly in the water columns. Simple is a little bloated. Cassio is still lethargic.

At the moment I'm boiling everything. I cleaned Cassio's tank (including gravel, plants and his heater) and put in fresh water and some aquarium salt. He seems to be trying at swimming around more, but generally still seems a little lethargic. I'm counting it as progress.

Wheatley and Simple are in these two half-gallon-ish tupperware containers right now which I change the water in every hour or so while I boil their gravel/tank/plants. I'm also throwing in small amounts of aquarium salt with each water change. Simple's just swimming along, being simple, but Wheatley is having his usual struggles.

I haven't fed any of the three since, probably, Friday. What strikes me as odd is that Wheatley chased my finger around for about fifteen minutes in my attempts to play with him, despite the fact he was struggling to be at the surface of the water (from what I could tell). Cassio also seems at least temporarily interested in my presence near the tank.

So I suppose I'm wondering if it's depression/season change or something more serious? I really don't know what else I can do besides give their tanks a really good cleaning and keep up with frequent water changes (about once a week for both).

I do not have test strips (yet) so I don't know the levels of toxins in their water, but I do use conditioner (of course). I also feed them two pellets each once a day, and occasionally freeze-dried bloodworms (though they haven't gotten those in a few weeks).

Edit: I also think Wheatley might be tail-biting.

Last edited by NightxFury; 10-24-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Additional info
NightxFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

How does their poop look? If it's white/stringy, I would start on epsom salt instead of aquarium salt.

And for your qt that are ~2.5 gallons, you don't have to change them every hour. It's probably more stressing than it's worth for everyone involved.

could you get pictures of your boys so we can get a better idea if anythignmay be wrong?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #3 
NightxFury

Their poop is fine from what I can tell. Maybe a little big, which led me to fasting them. (Also, the containers are about a 1/2 gallon each, not 2-and-a-half. I thought that might be a bit confusing).

Unfortunately, I also don't have a camera. : /
Old 10-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Whoops. Sorry for that. Once a day should be good for those though.

Has their color changed at all? Maybe a little paler?

If they're having difficulty swimming down/up or staying upright I recommend 1 tsp/gal epsom salt.

They're not displaying anything physically wrong, just behaviorally?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #5 
NightxFury

Once a day? I'll drop it back, then.

Ah, epsom salt, the bane of my existence (I can never find it around here).

Yeah. Wheatley is the only one who seemed physically ailed and that was just the sinking. He's already a pale little guy, so it's hart to tell if he's gotten even lighter.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

I found epsom salt in target, actually. See if it is at any walmart, cvs, etc. etc. and you might have some luck. Heck, you could probably call ahead and see if they have it, save yourself a trip.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

Epsom salt might be just what you need, unfortunately.

I think Walmart sells it (I would assume it does since it sells practically everything). Grocery stores usually have it too.

It's a laxative, so it should be with the toothpastes and such. It's generally pretty cheap too. I can get a little box of it for $1 and it'll last me months.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #8 
NightxFury

I'll take a look when I get the chance. Thanks. : )

Tags
depression, sick, swim bladder disorder