Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #1 
pieleld

Food and Feeding Questions

Hi all,

I'm new here, just bought my first betta about a week ago. He's a blue veil-tailed with some red tints(pics coming soon), very beautiful and active fish. I bought an Aqueon Mini Bow filtered tank and he seems to like it very much. It came with the Aqueon BettaFood pellets (which are pretty small compared to TopFin pellets). I wanted to know if any of you had any opinions on this food and how many pellets should I feed a rather active betta daily. So far I have been feeding him about 3-4 twice daily so lets say 8 total per day. The size of these pellets would be compared to a total of about 4-6 TopFin pellets per day. All opinions appreciated.
pieleld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

Hi there, welcome to the forum =D Aqueon betta pellets are ok, they don't have as much protein in them as other betta food. It's fine for now, but you might want to think about getting something with more protein in the future. Top Fin betta pellets are a great choice, Omega One makes a great pellet food too. As for how much to feed, a betta's stomach is only about the size of his eye, so they don't need to be fed a ton. I feed my bettas the equivalent of 3-4 Top Fin pellets daily (i feed them two pellets and either some flake food or freeze dried blood worms to vary their diet).
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #3 
pieleld

Yeah, I purchased the TopFin pellets, but they seem to be a little too large for my fish, he ends up spitting it out many times. The Aqeuon are a lot easier for him to swallow and eat. I noticed that the Aqueon pellets have 38% protein content while TopFin has 42%. Not sure if that'll make a huge difference, though. Would it be acceptable to feed him 6-8 of the smaller pellets? Also, is fasting once a week really beneficial to the the betta?
pieleld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

I think 6 pellets would be enough, 8 might be a little too many, they do get easily constipated/bloated if they are over fed. It's up to you whether you fast him for a day ever week or not, I personally don't think it makes a huge difference unless he's bloated or constipated =) But it won't hurt him if you decide to do it, and it might keep him from becoming bloated. Just a tip, feeding them in the morning/early afternoon is the best time to feed them because their digestive systems slow down at night, which can cause constipation.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #5 
Super Sly

Sorry, I don't know anything about betta fasting, but the food I give my bettas is the omega one pellets. The new betta I got is rather young he can barely eat the pellets so I've been feeding him Betta Min by tetra-o flake food I think its a decent food it has 48% protein and is a little easier for him to eat. They both eat twice everyday and Fender (my first betta) has grown quite a bit since i got him
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #6 
Super Sly

Actually after I read another thread in the similar thread section I've decided that im going to start fasting my fish on saturdays and varying his diet a bit. Im planning on going to the pet store in a couple days and getting them some frozen shrimp and maybe something else haven't decided yet.
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote