Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #1 
Jaclyn

Exclamation Question about females.

SO I went in my towns brand new petsmart to get an HM Female. They have really nice fish in there and keep the cups clean. I got Twilight my HM Butterfly there. Anyways They keep their VT females in cups and any other females over in the "real fish" section in a sorority tank. So I went over there, but when I looked at them I was surprised/confused/scared/disturbed. All of the females lookedlike the attached picture, not one of them looked smaller or anything close to normal.

My question is...Are they just SUPER eggy or are they deformed with growths or other problems?
Attached Images

Jaclyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #2 
Jaclyn

They were really even wider on the sides than this one is. The large area's went up on their sides too, not just on their belly's near their egg spots.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #3 
ksage505

Maybe they're giants? Its hard to tell by the picture, but it almost looks like those are scars around the head? Hole in head disease can leave scars like that, if that's whats I'm seeing.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #4 
Jaclyn

I'm really perplexed. That's just a pic I found online. It's the only one that looked close to them. I might buy one this weekend and see if it changes any. They didnt look or act sick at all...idk...
Old 10-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

that doesn't look normal o_o looks like they might be sick with something, i don't know that I would buy one of those.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #6 
Jaclyn

There were like 8 of them in the tank together that looked that way. I just wish I knew what it was or if it was anything?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

Could be the starts of dropsy, which is fatal about 95% of the time. Especially if they were swollen on their sides too, not just under the bellies by their egg spots. How was their behavoir??? Were they lethargic??
Old 10-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #8 
caitic10

Whatver it is...it's not right. It's probably not a deformity because they all have it...unless they are spawn sisters...

It might be a disease or parasite...They are probably not eggy...It's hard to tell.

I wouldn't get one. If it is contagious you might accidently infect your own bettas....
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #9 
Indyfishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitic10 View Post
Whatver it is...it's not right. It's probably not a deformity because they all have it...unless they are spawn sisters...

It might be a disease or parasite...They are probably not eggy...It's hard to tell.

I wouldn't get one. If it is contagious you might accidently infect your own bettas....
My thoughts exactly! It is heart breaking when you see a sick fish, and any decent person would want to help it, but considering how swollen they are, they are probably not going to make it, and if you brought one home you might get one of your fish sick from accidental cross contamination.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #10 
Jaclyn

Y'all have convinced me. I wont get one, it makes me sad though because that's the only place close that I can get HM's and it's still a 30min drive for me. :( I have a feeling you're right about the parasite.