Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2011, 04:45 AM   #1 
bilbey123

New to fish keeping and new to Betta's

heyy,
I decided that i liked the idea of keeping fish a while ago and got a tank and accessories to start my first fish tank.
I got a red betta and 3 tetras and they get along fine, but I am not sure that I am doing everything right because my betta has some silver scales and a silver chin. the tank was cycled before putting them in it and the tetras seem to be going fine, i was just wondering if my betta was fine. i found this on one of the threads so i filled it out;

Housing
What size is your tank? 35L
What temperature is your tank? 26įC
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? tetras

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tropical fish flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 time a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None fresh water from the rain nothing added (we live on a farm)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 6.8
Hardness: -
Alkalinity: -

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a silver chin and some silver scales
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasnít since I got him, stays at the top of the tank most of the time
When did you start noticing the symptoms? -
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? -
Does your fish have any history of being ill? -
How old is your fish (approximately)? -
If anything is wrong can someone please tell me, any help would be greatly appreciated
bilbey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

In 35L or 9gals.....is just barely big enough for other species of fish....good that you added a small school....is the tank planted with live plants....if not...your tank is not cycled.....your not showing a nitrate reading....but the ammonia reading at 1ppm could be problematic for all the livestock-good that the pH is also low since this can change the ammonia to ammonium....
I would check your source water and make sure it does not have ammonia....since you live on a farm...I assume you have well water that you use along with the rainwater or do you use 100% rainwater.......it may be too soft....and will need to be mixed with some well water...

What kind of testing product are you using...strips or liq reagent...

Do a full test on the source water and post.....

As long as the Betta is acting and eating without issue....the color may be normal pigment...often they will color up once placed in a better environment...

Can you post a pic...this will help....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #3 
tf1265

What kind of tetras do you have? Almost all of them are shoaling fish, so you should try to get at least 2 more of the same kind - they'll be happier that way. Some tetras are fin nippers, so it's important to know which kind you have. It also matters because the amount of tank space they require differs greatly by species - some of them are fine in schools of 5 or 6 in a 9 gallon, some of them need 20 gallon tanks. But I can't think of any that don't need to be in schools of 6 or more.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote