Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #1 
pieleld

Anyone ever cycle a 1 gallon?

I'm looking into cycling a 1 gallon MiniBow with a filter. I know I'm going to get scolded for even asking this question, but I do have cycling experience, just not with bettas. A fish breeder told me that you can basically cycle any size tank if done properly. I would be monitoring ammonia and nitrate levels, of course. I was thinking a 50% water change once a week for week 1 and 2 of the cycle. Then I would do about 1/3 for week 3. Week four and beyond would be 25% water changes. I've done this exact cycle method on a 30 and 55 gallon Angelfish tank. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Please, no scolding :P
pieleld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #2 
pieleld

Edit: Read around a bit on the forum and other sources, will not be cycling the 1 gallon. Don't want to even put my fish in any danger. Will probably upgrade to 5 Gallon sooner or later and will cycle that. Was also told by the breeder that 50% water changes every 5 days in filtered 1 gallon is sufficient. Gonna test this out with the kit to see if it's safe.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #3 
Kytkattin

You could not cycle it with the bacteria normally used to cycle a tank without plants. There is just not enough surface space for enough bacteria to break down as much waste as a betta would produce. They are just too dirty/big of fish.

However, with enough live plants there is some possibility of it working. Again, not sure if there is enough room. 1 gal is pretty darn small. I am trying to cycle a 2 gallon tank with plants right now. My suggestion for you if you want to try to cycle a 1 gallon is to not put a fish in the tank for at least a month. Give the plants plenty of time to establish, root, etc. Add your own ammonia of course, preferably with fish food because that has some nutrients as well compared to using just pure ammonia. Only one change a week for the first week of cycling would be deadly for any fish in the tank anyways. In my 2 gallon I can't go more than 2 days without changing the water.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 AM   #4 
pieleld

Is your two gallon filtered? Why is it that you must change water every two days? Tomorrow I'm going to start an evaluation on how often I have to change the water in my 1 gallon provided the current conditions. I purchased a 5-1 test kit and after the water change I'll monitor ammonia, nitrate, and nitrate levels. Whatever day significant values start to show up, that's how often I'll change the water. Unnecessary frequent changes can't be good for any fishes well-being.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

No filter, just a ton of plants (and a heater of course). I have been testing the ammonia daily. There is actually a topic on it in the Habitat section titled "2 Gallon Planted Experiment". I am only doing about a 1/3 change every day. They are easy to do. The plants just haven't had a chance to establish themselves yet. A fish-in cycle means you have to do a lot more water changes because you have to protect the fish. And it is an experiment....

With your tank, you only need to worry about the ammonia. Since you won't be able to get a cycle going. The nitrites and nitrates shouldn't happen at all.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:08 AM   #6 
pieleld

Ahh, I see. Well good luck, hopefully all goes well. I have absolutely no experience with live plants, although I hear they are very beneficial. You're correct on that too, nitrates and nitrites shouldn't happen. Hopefully with conservative feeding, about 4 pellets per day, the ammonia won't show up for about 4-5 days. I'm hoping to be able to do 50% changes about every 4-5 days. I'll use an ammonia remover in addition to the dechlorinator. Once I figure everything out, I'll go from there.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #7 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieleld View Post
I'll use an ammonia remover in addition to the dechlorinator. Once I figure everything out, I'll go from there.
Seachem Prime does both :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #8 
pieleld

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Seachem Prime does both :)
Just checked my Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus conditioner and apparently it " neutralizes harmful chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, and heavy metals." Maybe I won't need extra ammonia remover :P

Beautiful fish, by the way. Is it a veil or double veil?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:33 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've heard that you CAN cycle a 1 gallon BUT there isn't a lot of surface area for the beneficial bacteria to grow so it would be difficilt to hold the cycle.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #10 
pieleld

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I've heard that you CAN cycle a 1 gallon BUT there isn't a lot of surface area for the beneficial bacteria to grow so it would be difficilt to hold the cycle.
Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus. It would probably be very tough to keep balanced.