Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2011, 04:53 AM   #1 
BettaBuddy101

Question Fluval Chi for my Betta

This is my first post, so I hope it's in the right place :)

My Bettas been in a Baby BiOrb since February, but I'm really fed up of it. It's too small for him and an absolute pain to clean. So, I'm trying to find him a new tank. I came across the Fluval Chi. I was considering it a couple of months ago, actually, but I was put off through the lack of a lid. Since then, I have found that Fluval now sell lids for them, so I'm re-considering it.

My questions are which size would be best (bearing in mind I am unable to afford the larger version at this present time and I'd have to wait a while, and I'm unsure of whether my bookshelves would hold the extra weight), and if anyone had any experience with these tanks and had opinions on them? What's the maintainance like? I've heard about water evapouration issues, would the lid combat this? I don't really want to be topping up the water every few days as well as a weekly W/C.

I was going to go for a pale sand substrate, with the purple flower plant in the middle planting pot, with some silk plants to the rear of the tank to start off with, though I'd love to have lots of live plants in the future. I hope to add a couple of shrimp too to a add to the setup.

BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #2 
bastage

I was considering the Chi not long ago & it was recomended against it due to the flow & no way to baffel it. Betta's dont swim so good as tehre more used to standing water so the chi with its constant flow isnt the best for them. I Also came across some youtube video's showing bettas having to constantly swam to stay in place which turned me off on it.

You want want to check out the Petco bookshelf as its a great shape for betta's & much cheaper, yet still larger. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84076 That is the poll thread that I made when deciding on a tank for my home office where the Chi was an Option.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #3 
BettaBuddy101

I've seen that once before, certainly has potential, but unfortunately I'm in the UK :(
Old 10-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #4 
Wyvern

I dont think the chi will cause any issues. I have been looking at them myself and have seen a few in action - the flow is minimal, my 10g and 5g has a stronger flow and my boy loves it. Actually sulked when I baffled the filter.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #5 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
I dont think the chi will cause any issues. I have been looking at them myself and have seen a few in action - the flow is minimal, my 10g and 5g has a stronger flow and my boy loves it. Actually sulked when I baffled the filter.
Gwenny posted in my thread about the chi and its flow. And with Watter dropping that fee inch's that's bound to create some currents.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #6 
gwenny

Yeah, I had 2 different bettas in my Fluval Chi (not at the same time of course!) and both didn't respond well to the filter. It took a couple days to see any effects, but then my betta was lethargic and didn't move from the bottom ground.

In any case, before I bought the Chi, I google'd as well and there are a good amount of people who don't have any issues so it depends on the betta~ Just throwing my two cents in =]
gwenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #7 
ilovebunnies

If you are planning to do live plants then stay away from the Fluval Chi. The lighting is terrible, even low light plants don't do well in this setup. If you are interested in the Fluval tanks, the Fluval Flora may be a better option for you. It comes with the stuff you need to start a planted tank and a lid. Also, if you don't like the background that comes with the tank, you can remove it.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #8 
Micho

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend the Fluval Chi, because:

1) It has no lid, if your Betta decides to jump and you don't notice in the next fifteen minutes or so, your Betta will die.

2) You can't exactly baffle the filter, if your Betta is unable to withstand the current produced by the filter, the Betta is unhappy.

I would suggest the Fluval Flora if you're looking for specifically Fluval tanks, you could try the Fluval Edge but the limited surface area is not recommended. :3
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:46 AM   #9 
BettaBuddy101

I've seen the flora, but I don't think my shelves will hold the 30L weight and in all fairness, I don't think I can afford to spend 100 ish on a tank without decor at the moment. Fluval do sell a lid for it now though, I know Seapets sell them. It's just that the Chi was the right kind of size and price I was looking for...

Last edited by BettaBuddy101; 10-26-2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: lack of detail
Old 10-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #10 
BettaBuddy101

gwenny: Beautiful fish, btw ;)

Tags
19l, 25l, betta, fluval, fluval chi