Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #11 
eatingganesh

I have the 6.6 fluval chi. My betta loves it. The flow is barely noticeable. I live in the humid tropics, so I've only had to top off once per week so far. We'll see what winter brings.

I added a couple of mystery snails this week and was scared they might escape, as they are known to do. So I went to a craft store and got a thin but not flexible sheet of plexiglass (cheaper than their cover). I cut a cover out for the top of the chi (a challenging task, but using a professional plexi groove tool made it alot easier) and it works great... keeps in the moisture and prevents jumps and break outs. Totally unobtrusive. I'm hoping this means that I won't have to top off at all and can just do once weekly water changes.

I have a bunch of plastic plants in there, but honestly the footprint is so small (10x10 inches) that I think I spent less than $25 between 3 kinds of plants, standing bamboo, and the gravel.

If you like the tank's looks, as I did, you will love it once it's set up -- you can gradually add decoration. If you find the filter is too strong for your betta, you can add a square of cheesecloth inside the filter compartment (cut to the same size as the filter material and it will slow down the pull.
eatingganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #12 
BettaBuddy101

It's nice to hear from people with experience of the Chi aquariums with bettas. If I did get a chi, which size would be best? I'd prefer the 19L due to costs (55 vs 80), but I want what's best for my fish. If I got the larger version, I wouldn't be able to quite afford it right now though, and would probably have to wait a few months.
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #13 
eatingganesh

Well, I found that the 6.6 gallon that I got turned out to be 5.25 gallons with all the decorations, heater, and the filter in place. I was glad I got it over the 5 gallon because I have more than one critter in there.

If you are going to just have your betta alone and maybe one snail/shrimp, the 5 will be plenty of room (1 gall per fish on this side of the pond).

Glad I could help! Wish I could send you a few bucks to make up for your budget shortage... the 6.6 is a really nice size!

ps. Sorry my metric sucks - dang American school system, I honestly don't know why we haven't switched to metric yet (35 years ago when I was in grammar school they were teaching it to us because the switch was inevitable).
Old 10-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #14 
tokala

I have the Chi for one of my bettas and love it. It was easy to baffle and I really can not think of a single problem aside from water evaporation. I wouldnt recommend it for a jumper though
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #15 
eatingganesh

By the way... where did you find a cover for it? I looked on Hagen's website and couldn't find anything... maybe it's only available in Europe or something?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:09 AM   #16 
BettaBuddy101

I've seen them for sale on UK eBay as well as a UK aquatics site (http://www.seapets.co.uk/) Maybe they are just available in europe, I haven't seen them online anywhere else and haven't checked out Hagens website. What other critters do you have in your chi?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #17 
eatingganesh

Funny you should ask because I've moved my aquariums around. Last week was my birthday and a friend got me a second tank (though sadly not a Chi, it is a pretty cool 5gallon hexagonal number). The water was perfect yesterday, so I plopped Yoshi in there along with a single mystery snail and 2 ghost shrimp (he doesn't even acknowledge their existence LOL). In the chi I now have a purple mystery snail, two ghost shrimp, and 6 very happy Glofish (genetically modified danios with wild neon colors).

Thanks for the link and info on the cover!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #18 
eatingganesh

Darn... Seapets can't deliver the top to the US for some reason. I searched every US store I know (and google) and it seems to only be available through Seapets at the moment. Not even Hagen USA lists it as an available product. What a bummer. At least I've got my homemade job... Those snails are escape artists!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #19 
BettaBuddy101

I know a seller has them on UK eBay, but the description about where they ship to only says the UK, and the US ebay doesn't have any. Amazon has some, though they are currently out of stock: http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A13957-F...9734514&sr=1-2
Old 10-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #20 
eatingganesh

Right after I posted I went through google a little more aggressively and found that Aquacadabra sells them too and will ship to the USA. Seems silly that they wouldn't sell it here. Thanks for your help!

Tags
19l, 25l, betta, fluval, fluval chi