Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #1 
Bellus Bellator

Pale,whats wrong?

My boy has been very pale this evening.
BB has spent the last 13 days in a QT tank getting AQ salt for fin rot.Everything was going really well,he even made a little bubble nest!

For the last 2 weeks he's been in a 2g tank,heated,aq salt for fin rot,100%water change every day,conditioner is being used and he eats flakes most of the time but once a week blood worms.

Tonight I did his last dose and changed the water/did the routine exactly as I always would have but two hours after the change I noticed he had gone pale.
The only thing that I can think of that was any different to any other night is that I had a few too many blood worms on my finger than I realized and he got to then before I did.
I'm basically a nervous new owner and rushed to write a post but just before posting I checked him again and he was fine, color was good etc.So I went to the normal forum, wrote a post seeing if maybe he was just scared of his reflection etc and when I checked on him again he was bright and happy enough to flare at me.
I checked him again about an hour ago and he had gone pale again and has stayed pale.

I figured that he's had enough salt and have put him back into his aquarium but he hasn't gotten better.He's swimming around normally,coming up to say hello to me etc but his color hasn't returned.

He does look a little full,nothing liked being genuinely bloated but I can tell that he's eaten too much.Is this the first symptom of bloat?
What's wrong with him? Any suggestions on what to do?Did I do the right thing by putting him back into his aquarium?
Bellus Bellator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #2 
youlovegnats

Did you change the water from the aquarium at all?
What size is his tank, what's it heated to, any tankmates, and what's your feeding schedule like??
Usually people suggest feeding pellets instead of flakes, because it makes them more prone to bloat. Are you feeding freeze-dried bloodworms, live, or frozen?
Bloating usually isn't a problem and it will go away on its own after a couple days of fasting. :) He should color up soon.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #3 
Bellus Bellator

Yeah he's o.k this morning,his head is still a little lack luster but he's happy enough. He's not incredibly active but it's still early in the morning and still dark out.I did a full water change on his 8g tank( as I'd been floating his QT tank in there for the heater warmth and hadn't changed that water) that's heated to 78f.He has no tank mates and he only gets fed once a day.
I only feed him flakes because he seems to like them and hates his pellets.Should I just get him used to his pellets and let him sulk about it for a while?
Will see how he is when I get home this afternoon.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

Flakes are fine, just don't overfeed- that's why they get bloated easily on pellets, because it's easy to overfeed. :)
It sounds like you're doing everything correct! Good! ^^
He should be alright now and should color up soon.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:23 AM   #5 
Bellus Bellator

His head is still a little light in color,mainly under his jaw.But he seems happy enough and his color has returned to the rest of his body.Who knows what went wrong?Maybe he was done with the salt,I did push it to 13 days and I know some people say that 10 days is enough,combined with having a tummy ache from over feeding maybe he was just feeling unwell.
His fin rot has gotten better but it didn't clear up perfectly.Hopefully It'll be o.k.We shall see.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #6 
youlovegnats

You can actually go a whole 2 weeks (14 days) with salt treatment, so you were ok there. :)
I'm glas he's on track to good health! Good luck!~