Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #1 
Larsa

UV light for sterilization?

Hi all, apparently there is "something" in my local water supply-possibly caused from the drought (stage 3 begins Nov 1st). Many fish around here are getting sick- all my friends pet fish and I have seen many fish dead in streams/creeks covered in algae. I do live in an old run-down part if town which makes me feel like the water quality is bad already. Our tap water is safe for humans but still contain nasty bacteria or pathogens that can make fish sick- which explains a LOT as to why ALL my fish are starting to get sick ( pop-eye, fin rot, and poor Izume's weird problems...) I even had a fish recently die and I have been doing 100% water changes every other day to anyone under 5 gal and a 50% every other day to my 10 gal. My area has a history of water problems in the hot weather. Right now, the water actually tastes nasty and has an unusual odor. I have been doing daily chem, hardness, and temp checks and everything reads normal/safe!! Its very stressing on top of my massively stressing warehouse overnight job.

So I have my betta first aid kit handy which is helping my fish recover. In prevention of any more sickness I have been thinking about getting a UV light to sterilize the water when I do full or part water changes. I will take my fish out and put them in their lil cups, clean out their tanks with 140 F hot water, fill the tanks up with my usual 82 F water, and go over the water with the UV light to kill any nasty microscopic swimmies in the water. 30 mins after that I plan to add my fish back into their tanks. I am considering converting to using only bottled Ozarka natural spring water for water changes and still using a UV light just in case! Also, my city is on a water restriction so gallons of bottled spring water from the store helps :(

Is this a good idea?

Last edited by Larsa; 10-25-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote