Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #41 
Bambi

There are halfmoon giants.

And yes, long fin is dominent to short fin.

So you'd get delta-hm half giants.

Then you can cross back the largest female to the father and homefully get a halfmoon/hmpk mixed spawn and not all HMPK. then take the giant hm, and breed to a new halfmoon(i'dbreed him twice to two different girls for two lines). then keep breeding as suck, sibling or parent child untill you dolidify the guant gene and hm gene
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #42 
Curlyfatbottom

Ok ok....
If I've ever develope a fish that size...
I'll keep him to myself in a 50 gallon show tank...
6" in fish with a 6" tail...
Don't matter what color he is....
Thank for the info Bambi...
On line breeding....
But I'll do one line of inbreeding only....
Then cross it out with with my other line....
Want lively fish at the end....
To much line breeding n inbreed will make the fish unhealthy....
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #43 
Bambi

Yeah, but it's safe up to 3 or so generation as long as you're not breeding deformed fish. I haven't got to try it personally yet but i've read what other people have done and when starting a line can help a lot alot. That's why i reccomended the two females so you can branch off and have two separate line that you can breed back to each other down the line.

If you don't want to inbreed, i have the link of a breeder of HM giants and you can just buy a pair to start with?
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #44 
Curlyfatbottom

One line of inbreeding is max for me....
Will pick a few 2 pair from the batch n cross them together...
Two male n two female can throw four different spawn...
Which I'll hand pick one male n female from each spawn n go from there....
N stare mixing it with other giant.....
But later down the road....
I have to breed cousin to cousin....
If I want the line to b strong....
I seen the price of hm giant....
Have to dig really deep just to get a pair....
Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #45 
Curlyfatbottom

Spend $200+pair and produce a giant hm...
Or spend about $60 for a pair and work my way to get a giant hm....
I think the second option seem more of a challenge and fun....
Never like to take the easy road....
Old 10-26-2011, 02:36 AM   #46 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Your goal is possible but definitely hard, expensive, and time consuming, + tons of breeding (unless you're lucky).

Remember:
1. giant x giant doesn't = 100% giant (fact). So giant x regular = 100% regular size BUT 50% geno. Breed that, you get half giants (unless you get really lucky). Breed that again, you may get full giants. ..... question is; which pair do you breed? Which are the giant genos or the half giants with full giant genes? If you want to play it safe, you'd have to wait until they're big; 6 - 7 months and breed the fastest growing and the largest.

In other words, you need as many fry survive as possible. Choose the fast growing (which might not have giant genes) and breed them. You have to breed as many pairs as possible. If you're lucky, it can be done in 4 - 6 generations.

2. Giants need tons of food to get them grow rapidly and reach the 12cm BO mark. Imagine feeding hundreds, or even thousands or fry 6 - 9 times daily..... it's very expensive and time consuming. I'd say invest on an expensive HM giant pair. Experiment with their fry and work your way for colors ..... you will still have the true giants to breed back to when you need them.

3. Not sure about this one, but I haven't seen HM giants with fins as long as regular HM. Anyway, if you power grow bettas, their fins will not develop as good as if you grow them regularly. You can power grow PK and get equally gorgeous fins but HM,s tend to have shorter fins. So if you power grow HM giants, their fins should only grow half of their body length (max). I'm not sure if fins could grow later on, but my previous HM's never did.

I hope I got the words right, because it was hard to make it simple and short.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #47 
youlovegnats

Ahhh, so if the OP bred his regular to a giant they would all be heterozygous for the giant gene. That makes sense. So Giant is a recessive trait and regular size is dominant.
So it will take until F3 to get pure giants.
In F1 you'll get approx. 25% regular w/ no carrier gene, 50% regular w/ carrier gene, and 25% giant.
In F2 you'll get 50% regular and 50% giants.
And in F3 you'll have 100% giant.
This will take tons of time and money, like Indjo said. >~< But if you're willing to put all of your effort, time, and money into it, I think the outcome would be well worth it!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #48 
Curlyfatbottom

They way I power grow my fry is feed the Mircoworm for the first 2 1/2 week. Then from 2 1/2 week to 4 Grindal work for there on tubfix worm.
Can make a regular hit fully grown size in about 2 1/2 month-3
I know it's expensive to power grow fry....
Sticking with the base of culturing your own food next spring....
Mircoworm
Grindal worm( really easy to take care of)
White worm( haven't try it yet)
Tubfix worm(black worm) bit dirty but this stuff can boost the growth of a fry
Daphnia(good for fry)
Mosquito larvae(easy to find durning spring)
Guppy fry(keep the population down)
Blood worm(can alway find this thing on the bottom of my tube of water outside)
Old 10-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #49 
Curlyfatbottom

Just got an answer Jim sonnier....
Only long fin giant get 7"....
It's measure for the tip of the mouth to the caudal fin...

Yeah have anyone try to raise fry in an aquaponic system
Old 10-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #50 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
Ahhh, so if the OP bred his regular to a giant they would all be heterozygous for the giant gene. That makes sense. So Giant is a recessive trait and regular size is dominant.
Yes giant gene is very recessive.

So it will take until F3 to get pure giants.
Theoretically yes. And we have to wait 6-7 months to see which ones are the true giants.

In F1 you'll get approx. 25% regular w/ no carrier gene, 50% regular w/ carrier gene, and 25% giant.
In F2 you'll get 50% regular and 50% giants.
Theoretically it's 50-50 in F1. But you can't tell which are the geno's and which are the regulars..... mostly a gamble.

In F2 (if the geno's were bred) you will have what I call half giants - won't grow to maximum size. Some of them will be carriers of true giant gene .... again which one? If you breed the non carriers, you will have bigger than regular but won't grow to maximum size.

If lucky - bred all the right ones, F3 will be true giants and will grow to maximum size.... But I don't know anyone who's done it in only 3 generations. Most take 4-6 generations.

In all generations, less than 30% will exceed 5cm BO. This is why IMO the OP needs as many fry to survive so he/she will have a maximum number of giants/giant carriers.

And in F3 you'll have 100% giant. I have never heard of local breeders producing 100% giants. Not even when they breed good giant genetics.

This will take tons of time and money, like Indjo said. >~< But if you're willing to put all of your effort, time, and money into it, I think the outcome would be well worth it!
Quote:
Only long fin giant get 7"....
It's measure for the tip of the mouth to the caudal fin...
Using "full" measurements IMO is deceiving. 7" would be about 17.5cm..... but 1/3 of that is the caudal while the body is only about 12cm/-5".

If you want to power grow, I suggest wormy foods. Non worms like daphnia, mosq larva, guppy fry, shrimp etc. are good for form growth - body, fins, and color.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote