Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #11 
bastage

hmm.. I have seen the stuff before used in lights, but I never even thought about using it for something like this. I will stop by home depot tonight if I get a chance to see if they can help. Thanks for the image though.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #12 
bastage

So the Divided tank has been redone due to getting the heater & filter.. Got the Marineland Duetto DJ-100 submersible filter & so far I love it. I have it at one end of the tank & some clear tubing taking the water return & returning it to the other end of the tank under the gravel. I have the plants back along with the snails & shrimp. 3 of the 4 fish will be returned to it as soon as the temp stabilizes. The 4th is still in quarantine with an unknown fungal growth.

The next big things to come for it will be lighting which I am going to keep simple. Looking at getting the Coralife Freshwater 30" Aqualight T5 Strip. I am also hoping to find some black eggcrate which I see on reef forums postings, but haven't been able to locate it here in town. I Dont want to paint white, & black would just plan look better since this tank is out int he open where all of it is highly visible.

Last edited by bastage; 11-02-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #13 
Pitluvs

This looks like a big version of my 5g haha I used the blue spines and black mesh as well, much nicer I think. You're tank looks amazing. My 10g's have the black mesh but white spines, since my store stopped selling them by the 6 pack, but 50 packs now :(

Oh I wish I had a tank like yours! And it's so nice to see someone siliconing the spines in, much safer!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #14 
bastage

actually when I pulled it apart to clean it the silicone came out on all 6 spines. So for now its not really siliconed into place. Just using the remaining silicone to kind of hold them in place. The binders are I think going to get completely redone at some point with a solid bead of silicone all the way down and at the top to hold them in place really well. The silicone as it is just didn't hold to these binders well. I also sourced some black ones & found the hardware mesh in larger sheets so I wouldn't need to have them sewn together. For the time being though I am going to grab a few more of these blue dividers & cut them to length & pop them onto the tank rim along the top so it wont let the others move at all so there will be zero worry about the boys visiting each other.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #15 
Pitluvs

Mine are in solid but I also use real silicone, GE I Windows and Doors type. Manufactures of aquariums use it in their tanks. I noticed when I used the black silicone from my pet store, it stuck to nothing :( I had to redo all my tanks and decoration with the GE stuff.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #16 
bastage

hmm interesting. I have plenty of more industrial silicone I can try. And the aquarium silicone we bought stuck to the glass perfect. Just not the plastic so a rough sanding may fix that too.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #17 
Pitluvs

I would only suggest GE I Windows and Doors (not II, it has anti-mold in it), Google it. It's the only type sold to aquarium manufactures in large quantities (under another name, same product). I wouldn't suggest using anything else industrial. Eep! Ya my pet store stuff stuck to glass but it was easy to peal off, wouldn't stick to anything else though.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 AM   #18 
bastage

Uh Oh, I think my new heater & filter may have been the death of one of my boys.. Last night we lost Teal'c. he was fine when everyone went to bed, but this morning he was sitting at the bottom & quite faded.. I Think it may have been the new equipment as the bottom end of the filter's suction cup was loose so it was only held by the other end. I Think he may have gotten himself wedged or something.. Either way its a sad day I had to wake my wife & daughter up for a Flushie Memorial service.

This is or boy that passed.