Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 75 degrees fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets (Aqueon)
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every Sunday and Wednesday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Only tap water conditioner (stress relief formula)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Clamped fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Doesn't swim around much anymore, stays at the top of the aquarium
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I came back today from choir tour, he was fine when I left :/ I was only gone for a day.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? He's eating, so I know he's not sick, but I bought him a cave he could hide in since the bulbs I put in the aquarium haven't sprouted yet. I just wanted him to have somewhere to hide.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I've only had him for a few weeks.
How old is your fish (approximately)? He's small. I don't know how old he is. He's young.

What other symptoms should I look for? I'm stuck. :/
dannycastillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

He might want warmer water and more places to hide. A single cave it not a whole lot for a 2.5 gallon.

Also, you'll want to change the water just a tad more. 1 50% and 1 100% weekly should do it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #3 
dannycastillo

How do I make the water warmer? =/ I already put the heater in there, but it has no settings.

I think he might be avoiding the cave I bought him. I just put it in. He won't go near it. It's the Squidward's house ornament. I turned off the light on the aquarium and he's moving around a bit, but his fins are still clamped. :/
Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #4 
dannycastillo

I think I know what I've been doing wrong. He looks a little bloated, so my guess is that I've been overfeeding him. :/ I didn't know you were only supposed to feed them 3-4 pellets a day. Whoops! Time to fast and recover. :)
Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

If you've already got a working heater in there, then there's not much else you can do other than invest in an adjustable one.

Depending on tank size, warmth, and activity, bettas can be fed up to 10 pellets a day safely, in my experience. If you're guy isn't active, try feeding him 3 pellets a day for now spread out during the day.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #6 
dannycastillo

Ten pellets a day? My fish is kind of young. I think I'm going to stick with the 3-4 pellets a day idea. I'm also not going to feed him until his bloating goes down. I'm sure it'll be gone within a day of not eating. Do fish usually clamp their fins when they're feeling overfed?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

I was saying 10 pellets for very active bettas in a large warm tank. They do use up that energy.

But 3-4 is good for your boy. And yes, they will definitely clamp their fins if they're feeling constipated. It's not comfortable for them, just like it's not comfortable for us.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #8 
dannycastillo

Is not feeding him a good idea? I just want the bloating to go down, so he can swim around comfortably again. :/
Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #9 
purplemuffin

Fasting is fine for a few days. Just let him work it out of his system. :) Then resume feeding!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #10 
Pataflafla

Fasting is perfectly fine for him. Fast him for 2 days and see if the bloating goes down and if he poops.

Once he's regular again, try fasting at least once a week to let everything work though his system. It's a good practice to get into (and doesn't hurt them in the least) since it helps you avoid constipation.