Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #1 
emeraldsky

Well Dang, No More Excuses Now.

So I went to petsmart today to see if they had gotten any new ghost shrimp and chatted with the fish person, who was surprisingly knowledgeable on bettas (though everything she told me i already knew from here :P).

Anyways, I was with my friends and they asked to see the crabs, so the lady shifted the monster ladder out of the way and lo and behold, they had a tank of female bettas together. They were in pretty nice condition, fins were a little tattered but im assuming that was from having them in a bare tank. All looked healthy, but very stressed.

I was slightly frustrated since I had called them a week before and they said they didnt even carry females anymore :I

Now the only reason Ive been putting off getting a sorority was because I wanted to play it as safe as possible and get fish that were already housed together, now that I've found some (and totally have fallen in love with one of them) I dont have an excuse anymore 8D

So next monday Ill be getting a tank and all of the girls in there (there were 3 plus another one they had housed with 20+ neon tetras, poor thing)

And now, the whole point of my thread :P

Whats the smallest tank I can house a sorority in? Would 10 gallons be ok? How many can go in 10 gallons? I want to get as many as my tank can comfortably hold to spread out the aggression.

I know it has to be heavily covered :P

Plus any tips you could throw my way would be great, I know pretty much the basics on a sororities from reading the threads on here already ^^
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

A 10 gallon is a perfect size, many people on this forum have ten gallon female sororities =D You could probably fit four or five females in a ten gallon, definitely no more than five and no less than four since they establish a pecking order.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

10 works, but if you could swing a 20 long you could have about double (8), or still just stick with 4-5 and they would be less stressed because they would have more space.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #4 
emeraldsky

10 gallons is really my only choice right now, due to budget and room since I just got my divided 40g breeder set up XD

Sounds good, I could grab all the girls then ^^
Old 10-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #5 
emeraldsky

Well dang, now I REALLY have no excuse.

I just found a 35gallon on craigslist for 10$ and mailed the guy on the dimensions. He mailed back saying he had a 20g as well and would sell both for $15!

So yea, going to have a bigger tank than i thought XD
Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #6 
laughing

I just want to recommend on cover.. Don't just add decor to the bottom/middle of the tank. I would highly suggest breaking up view at the TOP of the tank, too. When they rest they hang near the top and they have to breathe, so this could cause scuffles.

A 20 gallon would be lovely! I'd shoot for about 9 females for a 20 gallon. If you go with the 10, 5 would be alright. Just keep up with water changes and siphon the gravel.

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #7 
emeraldsky

Since ill be getting a 20g and 35g for super cheap later today, itll be harder to decide to use only the 20g XD

Thanks for the tip though, i was planning on having the whole tank massively covered in general but ill pay close attention to making sure the top is covered as well :)

Tags
sorority, stocking