Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Which option sounds best?
Make a sorority! 2 18.18%
Put Bruce in with a few other fish! 6 54.55%
Other. 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #1 
HelloThere123Betta

What Should I do with my 10 Gal. Tank?

Okay so my mom is getting me a 10 gallon tank for my birthday and I'm getting really excited! I just don't know what I should put in it yet.

I really want to start a sorority and put about 4 or 5 girls in the 10 gal, but I could also put my male betta, Bruce in in with a few cories or platys or tetras. Keep in mind if I get a sorority, I will have to keep Bruce in his 2 gallon tank. Which idea sounds better? Do you have any other ideas? Thanks for any advice!
HelloThere123Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #2 
betta lover1507

i would get a divider to put another boy beside him ^-^ well thats just me

you should get a 20 long for females, people say that is a proper size for them
also happy early B-day, if i don't say it now i would forget about it
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #3 
ksage505

Personally, I would divide it and keep two or three males or keep one male with some tetras and such like you said. The females are really cute but I really love the long fins on the males. If you decided to go with one of these options you could always get another betta for your 2 gallon as well.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

I would definitely get some experience with either 2 boys or 1 boy and a community before you try a sorority. They are complex for even old hobbyists, and it would royally suck if your birthday present turned into a disaster. Plus some females simply don't get along. You would need extra tanks for these bad girls.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #5 
laughing

I agree, go with the boys! I just set up my 10 gallons for my incoming HM male, 3 ADFs, and then maybe shrimp/snails. I love how it is so open, I love watching the fish swim in there happy that it's to themselves, and the frogs, snails, and shrimp are so adorable to watch!

If you'd like more fish, maybe you could split it in half for another male?

I would hold off on the sorority.

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #6 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I agree, go with the boys! I just set up my 10 gallons for my incoming HM male, 3 ADFs, and then maybe shrimp/snails. I love how it is so open, I love watching the fish swim in there happy that it's to themselves, and the frogs, snails, and shrimp are so adorable to watch!

If you'd like more fish, maybe you could split it in half for another male?

I would hold off on the sorority.

Good luck!
Forgive me if I'm wrong, or just being nosy, but isn't that over stocked? I thought 3 ADF alone would need 10 gallons because of the bioload. I know snails are dirty for their size and I thought the same was true for frogs.

If I'm completely wrong then ignore me. I've been researching ADF (before getting any ) so they can be in a third tank as a community all by themselves. XD

I don't really do community tanks with betta fish and I had a bad experience with a divided tank a few years ago. My current set up is Luigi and Snowy in their own 5 gallon tanks, so I'm clearly biased against sororities and tank mates when it comes to aggressive fish. In fact, my vote is other. I say toss Bruce into the 10 gallon solo so he can own the place. Maybe add a snail or two as algae cleaning servants that do his bidding or risk getting eaten as punishment.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

My only other suggestion is that if you are trying to work towards having a sorority, one betta with a community would prepare you better than 2 boys in a split tank. You get to experience all of the complexities of trying to get fish to live happily together! However, 2 boys are just so much fun... Actually, since it is a 10 gallon you could have 3 boys....
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #8 
HelloThere123Betta

Thanks for all the suggestions! I probably won't start a sorority now from all that I'm hearing. Maybe sometime in the future after I've had pratice
HelloThere123Betta is offline   Reply With Quote