Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #41 
Sakura8

I can hear an ill-informed pet store employee telling a customer that. "And this fish is such easy maintenance! Stick it in a vase of cold water, never change that water, and you don't even have to feed it because it'll eat its fins!"
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #42 
mjoy79

My naughty boys

My first tailbiter, Joey. I imported him from Thailand in July. Here is his aquabid photo:

He arrived looking like this after having spent 2 extra days in the shipping process :(

Here he is in August

And finally this is what he's looked like for the past month or so

I've pretty much gotten used to the fact that he's going to stay this way... I've tried putting him in different sized containers, QTing him with AQ salt, tannins and stress coat but its not helping! He was sick at one point and I thought I lost him but he recovered. At this point, as long as he's happy and healthy thats all that matters. But I hate seeing that AB pic as a reminder of what he once was - and I never saw him like that in person!

And here are the rest of my biters. Before and after.
Jack in his cup on the first day i got him:

Here is one from a couple weeks ago. He seems to be letting it grow now but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Just trying to keep him entertained.

Next is Sawyer. I got him and Jack on the same day and they shared my 6.6 divided tank at one point. Sawyer waited several weeks before deciding he didn't like his tail.
Here he is right after I got him:

And a more recent one:

And finally we have Justin (Furstenfeld). Here he is when I got him.

He looks pretty young there. His tail has gotten so long! Here he is from a few weeks ago before I moved him into my divided 20G:

And now.

He's taken a lot out of his dorsal fin and his beautiful tail is shredded. I took this right after moving him back to his own 2.5G, which is where he grew out his tail to begin with and I think he does better without neighbors.

In the future I probably won't be so inclined to get so many long-finned boys. I do have others that haven't touched their tails and I just hope it stays that way!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:05 AM   #43 
Sakura8

mjoy, your boys are so handsome! Looks like Joey never quite got over the trauma of his shipping, poor guy. Their poor beautiful tails. :(
Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #44 
Larkspur

I had no idea that bettas would bite their own tails so when Moony started getting mysterious shredded fins I took all of the tank accessories out thinking that was the only way to keep his fins nice! Once I found out that they could bite their own fins I gave him his flower and "man cave" back BAD BAD FEESHIE

Last edited by Larkspur; 10-27-2011 at 01:20 AM. Reason: EDIT: wrong pic lol
Larkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:49 AM   #45 
Sakura8

He even has kind of a guilty look on his face in the last pic, haha. He knows he did something he shouldn't have. :)
Old 10-27-2011, 03:22 AM   #46 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Tiki, I think you have the most tailbiters of all of us. Poor guys. Love Sesshy. :)
le sigh.

Grumpy
Sesshomarhu
tauske
Balthazar
Sanoske
Obsidian, The dark lord

Although with the last 3 - balthazar snuck into sanoske's side after a water change and Obsidian lost all his during a failed breeding attempt.

I should take new pics.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #47 
Sakura8

Wow. You actually have even more than I thought. Poor Obsidian. Was that Butterbuns or India who gave him the trim?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #48 
Tikibirds

That was India that Chewed off both their fins. Butterbuns is the one the one that fatally wounded lucky I wanted to toss her out the window, but instead banished her to a 1 gallon storage container. India is in the 5 gallon marineland hex. She seems to enjoy it in there. I had Sessy in there, thinking he would be happy if there were no other fish near him but NO, he just moped around even more. He is most active in the divided 10 gallon but ONLY if obsidian is next to him. I do not understand this fish.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 10-27-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #49 
Sakura8

How can a fish with a name as cute as Butterbuns be a murderer? Should name her Lady Macbeth.

I have another tailbiter. I don't think they like being in the divided 10g where they can see each other. Sorry guys.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #50 
Myates

I have no pics as of yet, but Xander started tailbiting shortly after I had surgery and wasn't near the tanks for about a week other then to hobble over when I could to feed them. His tank is right next to me at my desk here, within about a foot from me so he has always had lots of attention and something to see.
Hopefully now that I'm getting to be able to be up for a good chunk of the day, I can hang out at my desk some and hope that he quits that bad habit. It's only a little bit chewed luckily, just hope he didn't decide it tasted good and keeps doing it even after I return fully.
Le sigh.. silly fish.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote