Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Question about hair aglae

So I think that I have hair algae growing in my tank. It this white, cobwebby looking stuff that clings to the decor and occasionally gets stirred up and floats around. It's pretty unsightly, and no matter how much I scrub my decor, I can never seem to get all of it off.
Is there any way to get rid of this stuff for good? I've heard of using shrimp or snails, but I have a 2.5 gal, so I don't know if that's enough room. I also have to completely remove everything when I do water changes, so I'm not sure how a snail or shrimp would deal with that.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #2 
SnowySurface

That white stuff isn't hair algae. I get it too and suck it up with a turkey baster if I don't get it all out during water changes. The algae that does grow on my walls and decore is a light-dark green. I notice it's dark green if it's further away from my light and light green if it's closer to it. That is what hair algae does based on what I've read.

He is an article about hair algae since I thought about fighting it at first. Now I just let it grow and scrub it off when it starts to spread too much. I'm still trying to figure out the exact identity of the floating white stuff, but I personally think it's Brown Algae since I know my light is crappy. I wouldn't be surprised if it did start to look more brown under a light that is more than decorative.

When I have the money I am going to upgrade the bulb to see if that second stuff is really algae. If it doesn't then I'll read up on it more. If I'm wrong, the link about brown algae also summarizes other types of algae. I hope it helps. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote