Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #1 
bilbey123

Question friends for my betta

heyy,
my betta had some tetras for friends but they unfortunately pasted away and i was wondering what type of other fish he can live with. I have a 10g tank with a filter, heater and air pump, so i have everything needed for more friends exept I am not sure what spieces of fish to get as google only comes up with sites that are really confusing.
any help would be appreciated.
thanks.
bilbey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #2 
GreenTea

Hi, welcome to the forum. You could get 4 corydora catfish or 6 pygmy corydora catfish...a few platys, some ghost shrimp or an apple snail. A moss ball...
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:38 AM   #3 
bilbey123

heyy,
thanks for the info, but today i got more of the same tetras as before. they are called head and tail light tetras, my betta gets along with them and they dont chase him
Old 10-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #4 
tf1265

How many did you get? They need to be kept in groups of at least 6, which will also be about your max bio-load for a 10 gallon tank. They are pretty active and prefer larger tanks (15 gallons, or 24 inches long), but otherwise they are a pretty good choice. They can do acidic or alkaline pH ranges and are hardy, like your betta. No long fins to be nipped at, and not nippers themselves.

You said they all died once before? Do you know why they died? Bettas can live in sub-par conditions a lot longer than most other fish. If you don't have a water test kit, you'll need to get one if you have other tropical fish, especially with a fully-stocked tank (I'd advise against test strips, they can be pretty unreliable. Liquid kits are a better option). You'll need to establish bacteria colonies to keep the water parameters in check, and then you can determine a water change routine to keep the ammonia from poisoning your fish and the nitrates from building up too high.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #5 
bilbey123

heyy,
the fish died because one jumped out of the tank and he died, and one was sick when we got him, then the other also jumped out. so yehh not good i do have a lid but it was during cleaning and one thing lead to another and they are all dead now :(
Old 10-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

Your fish may be jumping out because the water conditions are not favorable for them. Please do research on the type of fish you got and make sure your water meets their needs. I have many types of fish here and have never had one jump out of the tank :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote