Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #1 
Gamma

Smile stocking 5 gallon

I have a 5 gallon that is ready for stocking and I'm planing on a Betta, and maybe a mystrey snail or some ghost shirmp. If that works how many? And if you know of any thing else that could go in there feel free to list. thanks!
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #2 
Micho

First off shrimps, they can end up as tasty snacks or friends. Be sure to get cover for your them, driftwood with java moss or any kind of aquatic moss attached to it, your ghost shrimps will get some cover, maybe a small cave for them to hide in. If your ghost shrimps survive I would suggest red cherry shrimps, they reproduce like rabbits and they'll thrive in your tank, shrimps have little bioload so I would start with five ghost shrimps, and see how they do. Shrimps eat anything, algae, leftover food, so get sinking pellets for them~

As for mystery snail AKA apple snails, one would be good. They grow big and poop a lot, just remember if they run out of things to eat, drop algae wafers or blanced vegetables in for them, or they'll die. :D
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #3 
Gamma

Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #4 
bastage

definitly go with shrimp over snails.. The bioload is way easier tot ake care of. In my 2.5 gallon tanks I had 1 ghost shrimp & 2 snails (spread across 3 tanks) & it was always the snails tanks that ended up dirty 1st (each also had a male betta in it). Currently I have shrimp in all of my tanks, I still have a couple snails as well, but I am going to eliminate them & seeing as none of my 10 betta's care about the shrimp i will go to a more exotic shrimp (have ghost shrimp now)
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #5 
tf1265

1 mystery or nirite snail is a good idea, more than that will screw up your parameters in a 5 gallon. They have a surprisingly large bio-load. One of them is great for cleaning algae though.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #6 
BettaBuddy101

I'd just go for a couple of ghost shrimp personally. Maybe start with 3-5, as they will no doubt end up breeding and your betta might not end up eating all the offspring ;) You could try amanos too. Cherrys would be a bit of a risk due to their tiny size (could make a very tasty snack for a peckish betta) but you could always try them if you wanted.

Personally I'd have a nerite snail rather than an apple snail as they can grow rather large, whereas the nerites don't grow quite so big. Or you could try ramshorn, though (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm not sure if they eat plants, so won't be the best choice if you've got plants in the tank.
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Just on the size of cherries - if they get to adulthood, even though they aren't as big as most adult ghosties, they still get large. My boss females are all about an inch, some are more. Some betttas like to hunt them because they are easy to see, but as long as your tank has enough decor it should be fine.

+1 on nerite snail over apple, though I'd still go for shrimp instead. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote