Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2011, 03:21 AM   #21 
alysalouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Yeah he's only paying attention to the nest and she's not coming out anymore. She's got a good hiding spot, I can't find her. Neither can he. I'm ready with my net and a tank for her.
Lol i can just pictue you sitting there, net in hand over the tank, just waiting for her to make a move so you can spot her
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #22 
GreenTea

That's exactly what happened...:)

Videos coming. I can only see like 12 eggs in the nest. I only saw her release eggs once, a clutch of about 10 I'm guessing. I'm hoping there's more than that in there! Or maybe a small first spawn would be nice...! It is veryyy difficult to see the eggs as I chose an upside-down petco lid as the place for him to nest. He started building there immediately. I guess I'll just wait for the hangers...

So far the male is being a vigilant father. I added a mystery snail to help clean up, and siphoned out the waste and some dead plant matter. Dad didn't seem to mind! I'm going to Seattle after they hatch and are free swimming for a few days - come on little girls and guys!

Can you see any eggs in these photos? I can see some with my naked eye but the camera doesn't seem to pick them up, especially since my kitchen is green/white with yellow light.

GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #23 
Curlyfatbottom

One thing that I notice with my giant babies...
When your feeding them...
They will be eating n pooping at the same time...
Seem like it goes one end and come out at the other end...
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

Oooo so pretty :) a very nice pair! They've had king bettas in petsmart a few times... But nothing on the side of females of course. When I've moved elsewhere, have more space and time I want to find a good giant (or like you, a giant and a half giant) pair and breed them!

Good luck!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #25 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maybe it would help if you shine a flashlight up into the nest to see if there's more eggs.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #26 
GreenTea

I saw dad eat an egg and I don't see them in the nest anymore. I am concerned that he ate them today, I've left him alone. It's possible they weren't fertilized correctly...Hopefully there are still some.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #27 
Curlyfatbottom

Sign of a young male or a frighten male....
Best way to go in breeding...
Leave the female in a day or two...
If they breed they breed...
If not take the female out n feed them for a few day n repeat the progress over again...
If they do....
Take the female out...
Leave the male alone for a 3 day...
Go back n check on the tank...
If u have free swimming fry...
Take out the male
If not u still take out the male and clean out the tank and start all over again...
Left the female rest for a month n try agian....
Posted via Mobile Device
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

Are you sure he ate it? Maybe he was spitting it back into the nest. I hope some survived.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #29 
GreenTea

I left the female in for two days and left the tank alone. He's young, so maybe that's it. And no I'm not sure I saw him eat them, I just saw him pick one up and swim off where he'd normally been putting them back in the nest. I was also able to see the eggs hanging last night and now I can't see them. His nest looks a little smaller and he seems depressed, if that makes sense. Like he was sitting on the bottom under the nest instead of swimming under it.

I'm getting a new full giant female on Wednesday, and have other females and males I've been conditioning, so if he did eat them I can try another pair soon and the giants next weekend or something. I was initially pretty sad but since they had such a hard time spawning I thought maybe they weren't fertilized properly. He'd been a great dad up until today so I'm thinking there was something wrong with the eggs. He was not interested in food either.

I'll know by tomorrow afternoon whether or not there are any eggs.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

Well good luck :) Second time around for males seems to be easier - they catch on! The first time does not always work out.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote