Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #71 
Tikibirds

Quote:
There is one breeding site listing "true" giants at 7", but I have never seen, read about, or heard of a betta that size. A giant is anything over 3 inches, ideally at least 3.5. The females are about 3". What's more telling than their length is their weight and width though, they dwarf their regular sized companions with their body alone.

My half giant female is 2 or 3x bigger than my regular females, even the beefy ones, she is about 2.1 inches long but much wider, thicker and heavier than the others.
I think my girl is about 3 inches and is also much thicker and heavier then the others. She came from walmart.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #72 
Sena Hansler

I'd get my bettas (breeding stock) anywhere but this store now. The supplier shouldn't be breeding bettas :/ he/she doesn't help with the genes.

My friend when in the city, actually found a decent looking CT King. But she knew I did not want any more males
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #73 
indjo
TFK Moderator

This thread is becoming more interesting. I didn't realize that a lot of members are interested in giants.

Giant size is genetic. I experimented on feeding fry from the same pair but different spawn -
1. feed all they would eat every 2-3 hours - up to 9 times a day.
2. don't feed for growth but only to keep them alive (sort of) - all they would eat once a day.

Result:
Batch 1 grew quickly as expected.
Batch 2 grew at a slower rate but they still grew. They would show growth spurt if I feed more.

* Now that I'm satisfied with the result, I'm feeding all of them at least 3 times a day.

Giant genetic is unstable in every aspect - growth, immune system, etc. Most will stop growing after they reach 3-4 cm BO (all of my measurements are body only - not including fins). These WILL NOT produce giant offspring.
I agree with GT and consider those that only grow to 6cm as half giants. They carry giant genes but can't grow to max size (the largest I've heard is 12cm - very rare and takes over a year).

Good giant genes enables them to reach 6cm in 3 months (not mine) if fed excessively. Even a pair of good giant genetics MAY not always produce equal quality offspring - locally people say it depends on how "strong" (dominant) the genes are.

Because breeders often cross breed to regular bettas (to improve finnage and color) giant genes are even more unpredictable in my area. Sometimes a pair of half giant sized (most are bred at 6-7cm) does not produce giants or even half giants (not me).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #74 
Sena Hansler

Hmm, interesting.. Yeah I'd aim to breed a giant to a giant - higher chance. If I had the experience and time (lots of it) and space (not enough!) lol.

I liked the idea of a bigger betta... Don't care for colors as much, but just the fact the itty bitty betta can now be a big betta.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #75 
Brian10962001

So this isn't like gigantism, it's not a body mutation that causes odd growth, and it's not hybridism that will give them indeterminant growth (imagine that, a betta like a goldfish, a foot long in a couple years ). It's quite literally just good genetics as far as people can tell. I just read this page:
http://www.bettas-jimsonnier.com/genetics7.htm

And it sounds like you guys breeding 1/2 Giant "King" pairs should end up with a couple true giants if such a creature really exists and isn't just the biggest of the 1/2 giants. I don't see any real genetic breakdowns of this, just observation so I'll be all over watching these giant spawning threads I'll also keep my eyes open for a 1/2 giant female for the future.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #76 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I have always found the punnet square to be confusing for bettas - breeding results doesn't concur the theory. Perhaps this is due to excessive cross breeding thus all have mixtures of genetic codes. Never the less the punnet square or the color genetic theory is useful as a basis of probabilities.

I don't know any breeder, local or otherwise, who has produced 100% giants. The most giants produced is about 30%. 70% is made up of normal regulars and those that suddenly stop growing (usually they have giant form - wide body).

BTW, the term "1/2 giant" is only something I use for those that can't grow to max giant size but carry giant genes. Locally they're all called giants. Though they can produce true giants but most of their offspring will be half giants.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #77 
Sena Hansler

Yeah I was wondering of the punnet square... because my Madame was a Plakat, but say she may have had something else? And being black with metallic blue and green - what else does she hold for genetics? Same with Maine. A dark blue with light blue highlights and some red through his fins - sure he is VT, but who knows if he had another tail type in his genes? Lol.

But I go with what was dominant (visible) than recessive (not shown) then it works out better :) I wish places near here had giant or "half" giant bettas... that'd be nice. I'll end up getting mine from Thailand probably.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #78 
Curlyfatbottom

It's harder to keep import fish alive....
From what I've been reading...
There a few people on here...
That's trying to breed giant....
If your going to breed them....
All I'm telling u...
Is that they eat a lot and often....
Plus they grow really fast...
My r a day away from five weeks...
More then half of the fry can eat a whole tubflix worm without a problem....
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #79 
Sena Hansler

That's pretty amazing and like I said I would definitely wait to breed them... my gosh lol I mean I have one particular fry of my regular betta batch (VTxPK) that is double everyone else's size... And she/he eats a lot more than the littler fellas. I also notice, more water changes cause faster growth (diffuse the horomone the fish give out to slow growth)... now I can imagine that kind of thing with giants o_o And what happens if you got... 50? THAT is a lot
Old 11-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #80 
Curlyfatbottom

Warm water...
Longer light...
Live food...
More water change tend to get my fry to grow up faster..
50 is a small batch durning the hot season....
I tend to have a higher survive rate during late spring n early summer...
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote