Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2011, 01:42 AM   #1 
jfw

Female betta mateing stripes and stress stripes ??

My female betta keeps getting the mating stripes. She then started getting stress stripes, I fed her and they went away for a couple hours..

She keeps getting the mating stripes really pronounced though and freaking out. She just stares at my male and acts crazy. I checked on her and it looks like the stress stripes are coming back... What should I do she is obviously all hot and bothered lol..

Should i put her somewhere where she cant see her boyfriend? Is she making eggs already if she is getting those stripes? Can it hurt her if she doesn't get to lay them??

What should I do? thanks
jfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 AM   #2 
BellasMomma

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=75924

maybe this can help...
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:08 AM   #3 
Kytkattin

Just put a piece of paper between their tanks. They don't need to see each other, and maybe she will calm down without the visuals. She will either drop her eggs, or they will reabsorb, both are perfectly normal and healthy. Just because two fish can mate doesn't mean they should. It is a lot of work and very expensive to have baby bettas! And she won't be the one stuck with all the work, you will!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #4 
Myates

I have a girl in her own tank between a couple boys.. she doesn't get stress stripes, but she does get breeding stripes every so often. She has yet to get eggy. Doesn't mean yours won't, but doesn't mean she will. If she does, she'll most likely drop them or reabsorb as previously mentioned.

You can place a piece of paper between them, but I just think you should give her time to calm down on her own and get used to her neighbor. How long have they been next to one another? If only for a week or less, I'd wait it out. But if it's been over a month and she's been doing this then you can consider moving her.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #5 
jfw

I ended up having to put a piece of paper in between them. They have been freaking out for a little over a week. The funny thing is when I'm around its the female that is aggitatedly swimming towards him, but my male is the one ripping his fins flaring at her. (which he rarely does when I'm around.)

Is there anyway to introduce them that could keep them from going straight into procreation mode?
Old 11-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #6 
Myates

Not really. Normally over time they settle down once they realize that nothing is going to happen and they can't get to each other. It may take a few weeks. Or they may just be too attracted to each other to where you may have to push the tanks a bit further from each other. Mine have been together for a while, tank next to tank, and they still once in a while will flare at each other, or get breeding stripes. But that only lasts a short while, and only once in a while.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #7 
Bambi

They shouldn't be in constant view of each other anyway. Your should either separate the tanks, or keep the paper there.
People who have tanks side by side will often "exercise" and stretch their fish by removing the paper for a little while each day to get the fish to flare and swim around. When trying to get a super delta to go into a halfmoon, this often helps(just as a side note ><).

She won't die from not breeding. ^^ So rest assured she'll be fine as long as she's unstresses. I would love to see a picture of your pair sometime.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #8 
jfw

I will post pictures sometime this week

Ever since I put the piece of paper so she can't see my male her stress stripes are sticking around ...
Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #9 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
They shouldn't be in constant view of each other anyway. Your should either separate the tanks, or keep the paper there.
People who have tanks side by side will often "exercise" and stretch their fish by removing the paper for a little while each day to get the fish to flare and swim around. When trying to get a super delta to go into a halfmoon, this often helps(just as a side note ><).
There is no harm in having them side by side, as they normally do get used to each other and would flare at one another about the same amount as if one exercised them. Sometimes less as one of my boys doesn't flare at his neighbor at all. As long as there are some tall plants to break up the view, it is fine.
I can agree with the statement "They shouldn't be in constant view of each other" if they were in bare tanks with no covering. But well planted tanks, there is no reason they can't have view of their neighbors. I'd say a good chunk, if not more then most owners of multiple bettas have their bettas in constant view of one another. Think of how many divided tanks there are out there.. breeders with their jars and small tanks next to each other one by one.
Some bettas don't do good with neighbors, but most will calm down and be fine with them in time. Also another point is that many people will tell you when they kept their bettas apart, they become "depressed". Bettas are actually pretty social and seeing each other can make them more lively and happier. I think there was a thread about it somewhere here where people were talking about how social they actually are and how good it was for them to see each other. So I wouldn't say it's bad to keep them being able to see another.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #10 
jfw

Here they are!

Jeffrey, and Jewelly
I've had jeffrey for almost nine months now.. unfortunately for he and myself he was sick when I purchased him. It got to the point where I was changing his water almost every day to control his fin rot... long story short got him some meds (mostly maracyn two) and he is in recovery with a more knowledgeable owner. Jewelly was rescued from walmart when I was looking at upgrading jeffrey's tank. There was so much poo in her cup that I had to literally scrub it off. Her fin was already split when I got her and she had no color whatsoever. At the time I was under the impression jeffrey's fin would never grow back so, and I liked the idea of jewelly matching his fin, and doing betta penance for my previous ignorance.

><br>

Also Jeffrey has been ripping his fins allot since I got Jewelly, I put a piece of paper between them so he would cut it out!