Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Jewelly looks like my Rose :) and they should be kept somewhat out of each other's view. Even if you moved the tanks further away so they can see, but not always, that works.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #12 
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
There is no harm in having them side by side, as they normally do get used to each other and would flare at one another about the same amount as if one exercised them. Sometimes less as one of my boys doesn't flare at his neighbor at all. As long as there are some tall plants to break up the view, it is fine.
I can agree with the statement "They shouldn't be in constant view of each other" if they were in bare tanks with no covering. But well planted tanks, there is no reason they can't have view of their neighbors. I'd say a good chunk, if not more then most owners of multiple bettas have their bettas in constant view of one another. Think of how many divided tanks there are out there.. breeders with their jars and small tanks next to each other one by one.
Some bettas don't do good with neighbors, but most will calm down and be fine with them in time. Also another point is that many people will tell you when they kept their bettas apart, they become "depressed". Bettas are actually pretty social and seeing each other can make them more lively and happier. I think there was a thread about it somewhere here where people were talking about how social they actually are and how good it was for them to see each other. So I wouldn't say it's bad to keep them being able to see another.
I know, and recommend, divided tank..as long as there are plants tobreak up the view.
The jars side by side often have paper between them unless photos are being taken.
But it's different then two tanks side by side with nothing to break up the view.

Bettas are more territorial then social. >< Their "depression" is them not flaring every five minutes are chasing someone.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #13 
Bambi

Also...Lovely tanks :o and pretty fishies
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #14 
jfw

Thank you :)
jfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

I have two males side by side but had to use a paper to split them up since one tore a fin. My two rescues Reggie and Shiloh flare occasionally but never have to be "divided" in sight when I spaced them 3 inches apart.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #16 
jfw

I'll try taking the paper away eventually after the boy heals.. he is looking better already. the female is still acting weird if I bump the desk she is on at all she starts to get stressed which is understandable. its really funny though when I talk very low and gently she calms down. anytime my girlfriend or anyone other than myself for that matter goes in the room she gets a little stressed. my girlfriend thinks the fish hates her lol. it is strange though as she sits in there with her hours at a time while she does her homework. do you think she will always be like this or will she chill out eventually?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Some females are pretty jumpy - or stressed at the slightest things. My Rose is stressed from Marge (the alpha now) picking on her, but Tina is always stressed and dulls her color when she sees a person -.- Depends on the betta, and if you'll be willing to figure out how to make it less stressful :)

Have you tried adding a lot of soft (silk, fabric, live) plants? I did that to my tank and Marge was the one to super color up... Plus less stress stripes, and then you can have her beside the male but she can retreat into her forest
Old 11-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #18 
jfw

That is really funny that rosie looks AND acts like jewelly whats up with that? lol
Unfortunately I'm a college student so I don't see Jewelly getting a new tank at least until next January or February I think in that tiny one gallon she wouldn't want any more plants as obstuctions to the little open space it does offer do you?

p.s. she has been chilling out a little bit. I guess it seems like its just taking her a little long than I would have expected to get used to her new surroundings.

Do you have pics of rosie in your album? if not you should post them! I would like to see her
Old 11-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

I have a picture on my computer at home - if I pull it up I'll show ya :) she has changed some color since then (the lighting changed to UV and blue light). I notice, males do not mind wide spaces as much but females get heavier stress unless you give them a jungle. Even some low bearing plants could work?

And yeah bettas are all different! some take hours, days, even weeks to adjust. I had a diva betta who took 2 weeks to eat. Another took like.. an hour. o_O