Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #1 
pitbullmamaliz

Plants or hidey-holes?

When I woke up this morning it looked like Apsu had nibbled on his tail a bit. I've read that can often be caused by not having enough decorations. So should I add more fake plants or more cave-type things? I don't want live plants - I have a total black thumb.

Here is a pic of what I have now:

Thanks for any feedback!
pitbullmamaliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #2 
darkangel216

More fake plants would probably work. Maybe get some different sized ones so that you can fill in areas like the bottom and mid sections. That should create more areas for him to hide in. :)
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #3 
lillylark

You could get some gravel for the bottom - it might warm up the environment a little bit. One of my bettas loves his cave, and the other never goes in his and prefers the plants. Just depends on the fish I guess. Have you thought of a ZooMed leaf hammock? They are like $3 and my bettas love them.
lillylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #4 
pitbullmamaliz

I'm actually planning on keeping a bare bottom 'cause I like the way it looks and it makes it easy to clean.

I will look for more plants that may fill in the bottom a little bit more.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

Are you 100% sure he bit and he didn't catch or tear it on something? I agree that more plants would be good.

The betta hammock can be dangerous. Many of the site users use them, but one member actually lost their fish after the wire became exposed and her fish gutted himself on it. If you do purchase this you have to watch it carefully to make sure this doesn't happen.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #6 
lillylark

It's a little unfair to label the betta hammock as dangerous if one fish had a fluke accident with it. Fluke things could happen with anything in a tank...filter, plants, cave, rocks/gravel... really anything has the potential to be deadly if something random were to happen. But I wouldn't label any of the above as inherently or generally dangerous. Just sayin'. ;)
lillylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

The wire frequently becomes exposed on it and rusts. It is a manufacturing defect because it is cheaply made. No, not all fish will literally kill themselves with it, but the fact is that the wire tends to become exposed over time tells me there is a much larger potential for harm. Some members have fixed their hammocks by putting silicon where the wire would start to be exposed, thus holding it in place. Others have just taken the concept and made their own out of fake or even real leaves (IAL). It is a good concept, but poorly executed by Zoo Med.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #8 
Silverfang

I used aquarium sealant on my hammock, in hopes of preventing any wire poking.

Agree on the lower level decor, some short plants or perhaps a decoration or two.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #9 
Trobar

couple polished stones would look nice there as well
Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #10 
pitbullmamaliz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Are you 100% sure he bit and he didn't catch or tear it on something?
I'm pretty positive. There's nothing remotely sharp in there (the "skull" is all very rounded) and the edges out of his tail are c-shaped.

I will definitely add some more foliage and look for some other stuff for him to hide amongst. Thank you all for your help!