Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Lightbulb An idea for my sorority tank...

So, I am going to make a background for my females.

I saw something similar in the pet store, but I know something like it would cost too much! Using white styrofoam (I know colored is dangerous to use!), I am going to make a background where the females can actually hide in, rest on, and where some of my shipping-as-we-speak plants can latch onto (java fern and moss). I do not want to cement or paint it, just want to try this out first Then for the center of the tank I will have the large fake rock I have, and fake plants. In the front I will have a whole bunch of live plants, and perhaps some fake fabric plants. Now... I get to go find me some styrofoam Hopefully this will help my females actually color up, plus have them exploring and kept busy rather than chasing each other through, under, and over the plants xD

Any suggestions?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #2 
emeraldsky

That sounds like a great idea, i never knew styrofoam was safe for tanks o.o

Keep us updated on how it turns out, I may want to try it for my sorority as well since I short on cash X)
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Well, you can use a Styrofoam cup for breeding... And plus I was reading online about how to make a background and came up with styrofoam! Plus you can use cured cement (I don't wanna risk it, or add tons of salt to the water when I have nowhere to put the girls for three or so days) to make it look natural and give some weight to it. But it cannot be colored Styrofoam :) that will give off the color and bad chemicals! Just, now I gotta make sure to fit it so it wedges in there xD that way it doesn't float!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #4 
emeraldsky

Or glue it down with sealant :P

I'm so glad I found this thread though, can't want to start experimenting with some styrofoam for my new girls!

Is there a way to change the color of the styrofoam safetly though? The right white will stick out so much XD
Old 10-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #5 
laughing

Yep! You can drizzle on a sealant (like silicone) then spread substrate on it. Many people spread down silicone then use grey sand or tan sand to mix onto it.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/images...img/6887_6.jpg

http://www.aquaterra-intl.com/images/malawi_3.jpg

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images...ish-supply.jpg

laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 AM   #6 
emeraldsky

Ooooo good to know, I just happened to buy the big tube of sealant from dividing my other tank so that works out well.

Thanks for the heads up!
Those pictures are amazing, not sure if I can pull off something that natural looking lol
Old 10-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I found sites mainly based for cichlids.. For mine I want to add hidey holes in the sides of the protruding areas :) and I have to find silicone... Lol
Old 10-28-2011, 01:49 AM   #8 
emeraldsky

That's seems to be what I'm finding as well.

Most everything is covered in like cement or something, I'm beginning to wonder if aquarium silicone by itself will be enough?

If it does work fine then to want to make a bunch of ledges and caves and stuff. My tank is a tall so I have a lot of height to cover lol!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Cool!! Lol I may be upgrading them to a 29 gallon, so I may make it for the new tank. I think styrofoam would be good to get plants to latch on.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #10 
emeraldsky

yea!

I cant wait to get started, I'll need so many hiding places to carve out XD

Make sure you post pictures when you get yours done!