Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #1 
pieleld

New Tank for Uva :)

Decided to upgrade his tank. Had a one gallon betta bow, decided to upgrade to the 2.5. :) I hope Uva likes it....giving it a few hours to settle first.

Old:

New:

What do you think?
pieleld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #2 
Badjer

I have this same tank...just got it last weekend. It's a nice tank, however I'm new to Bettas and was unaware of their needs so mine is divided between two crown tail males. Not an ideal situation, but so far it's not going so bad. Have you baffled the filter? I've been looking for a way to do this, as the fish on the left has to deal with nearly all the current, but being new to this and all, I'm at a loss!

Anyways, congrats on the new tank! Hope Uva enjoys it!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #3 
pieleld

I was thinking of dividing the tank between two bettas, (Saw a beautiful one at petstore) but the girlfriend wouldn't allow it :P But I hear the general consensus is that 2.5 gallons is the ideal minimum for a betta to thrive. I haven't baffled the filter for 3 reasons: The tank isn't divided so the fish can swim where the current is weak, I surrounded it with a silk plant which slightly weakens the intake, and my fish seems to like the current. Sometimes hell stick his head into the filter outlet and swim against the current. I personally like Aqueon as a company and the Mini Bow series. The 1 is just to small IMO.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #4 
Badjer

That's probably for the best...I haven't tested my water yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to struggle to keep the ammonia levels down. Unfortunately, adding another tank just isn't an option quite yet. Neither of my fish seems to be stressed or uncomfortable though...I just hate knowing that my inexperience may possibly be making them uncomfortable!

Ironically enough, as I'm typing this, Xavier (my filter side fish) started swimming around in the outlet current! So I guess he doesn't mind a whole lot. His favorite place by far seems to be that open space behind the filter. He's young and still pretty tiny so when he's back there, it looks like I have a half empty tank!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #5 
lillylark

I have two of these tanks in the 5 gallon version - I baffled the filters with an aquarium sponge and it works well. I thought the current was a bit strong, but I did have it unbaffled for awhile and they seemed to be OK. Enjoy your new tank!
lillylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #6 
blueridge

I have two of those tanks and all 3 of my boys love it! Hope you and your fish enjoy it!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #7 
pieleld

Thanks everyone :) He seems to like it a lot. The filter is a tad bit louder on these Mini Bows than I expected but it'll do. Was debating buying the 5 gallon from Walmart for $26, but didn't really know if I had room anywhere for it.