Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #1 
everyangelneedshorns

Question Age?? Sick??? Help

Hi! I was wondering if someone might be able to answer a question regaurding my fancy guppy. I have had him for about 7 months now and noticed a couple of days ago that his top fin seems to have torn or almost like its falling off?!?! My community is now mostly small fish including, 6 neon tetra which he schools with sometimes, 3 black skirted tetra, 3 red tetra, a very hyper little catfish, and a blue snail. I have been watching all them very close to see if someone is picking on him and I haven't seem any of that. Any ideas on why or what could be making this happen?!?! Thanks for any advice and help!
everyangelneedshorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Its hard to say without more information.....can you post a pic...

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite, how long has the system been running, any recent illness/deaths or problems/changes-if so, explain-do you have any water prams for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and type of testing products used....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #3 
everyangelneedshorns

I have been checking all levels everyday, no problem there. I've only had the 55gl tank running now for about 2 months. Filters are changed recently. I have had 3 fish die over the last 3 weeks. They were dalamation mollies, I think they died of stress because the pet store didn't advise me to get 3 females to each male. Unfortunatly I had 2 females and 1 male. The fancy guppy is eating well and hasn't been acting unnormal. I did a 50% water change about 2 weeks ago. No live plants. I haven't added any chemicals being that all the levels have been checking out. I will try to get a good picture of him. Thanks for your help!
everyangelneedshorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Water changes every 2 weeks on a new uncycled or not a stable cycled tank may be some of the problem...no additives so I guess you are using well water...correct......what are the numbers....this will help tell me what stage the tank is at to better help you....I would start making some water changes with vacuum weekly...25% daily for a couple of days then get on a regular schedule of 50% weekly with vacuum to maintain the system....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote