Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #1 
valleyankee

Flushy's New Home! Balinese Zen Garden

Flushy has a new tank today. He's gone Balinese. He's swimming around trying to figure it out. I spend a small fortune on a lantern, gravel and plants and what does he do? Stares at the cord for the heater and flares at the thermometer. Some fish never change.

valleyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #2 
pieleld

Looks very nice, the fish and the setup. What size tank is that and what heater do you use for it?
pieleld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #3 
valleyankee

It's a big glass vessel I got at Home Goods. It holds 2 gallons. I found an under gravel heater at Petco for $10. It's one of those ones round ones. Made by Hydor.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #4 
valleyankee

He is ignoring me today for netting him out of his old tank.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #5 
Rjb5584

Are you sure it wasn't the Zoo Med BettaTherm? I have a couple of those and they are always right next to the bettas.

Be careful with them, though. They get hot. I have an ambient room temp in my apartment of around 72 +/- a couple degrees and was hoping for a slight raise in temp, but ended up getting around 85 degrees instead. Of course, this was my trial 1g tank to see how effective it'd be, and very glad I did. Don't think I'll be using these as they take a bit of monitoring.

Sorry for the derailment! I really like what you've got going on there! Those little lanterns are one of the few decorations I'd consider putting in a tank (I perfer the minimalist/contemporary + natural look myself).

Kudos on the sharp tank!
Rjb5584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

Looks nice!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #7 
valleyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjb5584 View Post
Are you sure it wasn't the Zoo Med BettaTherm? I have a couple of those and they are always right next to the bettas.

Be careful with them, though. They get hot. I have an ambient room temp in my apartment of around 72 +/- a couple degrees and was hoping for a slight raise in temp, but ended up getting around 85 degrees instead. Of course, this was my trial 1g tank to see how effective it'd be, and very glad I did. Don't think I'll be using these as they take a bit of monitoring.

Sorry for the derailment! I really like what you've got going on there! Those little lanterns are one of the few decorations I'd consider putting in a tank (I perfer the minimalist/contemporary + natural look myself).

Kudos on the sharp tank!

The heater looks just like the Zoo Med one but it is a different brand. Maybe someone else also makes it. It got it because my office gets cold at night. This morning I came in and the water was 68 degrees.

I am also worried about the temp getting too high. I put it in about 3 hours ago and the temp went from about 72 degrees to about 76. I have no choice, I don't want him to freeze to death over the weekend.

I can't leave the thermometer in the water for too long. Flushy hates it.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #8 
Laki

Looks nice :) Might be too much gravel on top for it to overheat. My Bettatherm barely does a thing if my room is too cold.. Which is always unless I'm here. (we're moving Sunday so that will change!!) They say to cover with up to 2 inches of gravel, since yours has more than that on top I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's only 7 watts!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #9 
valleyankee

I checked, my gravel at the lowest point is only at 1 1/2 inch. over the heater it's at 2" .
Old 10-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #10 
Laki

Jeez! It looks like more!! Sorry! I barely keep a thing layer over mine and it only does an okay job. When we move I'm sure it will pick up since it judges by the rooms temperature. The 3 windows in my current bedroom are major drafty -_-"

:)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote