Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #1 
Badjer

Spitting up food?

I'm fairly certain I just saw my male Betta spit up some of his food...is this normal? He's a small crowntail, the food was his second meal of the day and consisted of a few tiny pellets of some Aqueon Betta food. His body has been looking a bit chubby right by his pectoral fins, but I'd read that this was a common crowntail trait. He's been pooping quite a bit, so I wasn't too concerned. The food he spit out was mashed up, not like the whole pellets like it was when it was put into the tank. My other fish has been eating the same food with no problems.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #2 
Myates

Was it just seconds after feeding him, or was it an hour or more after? And did he eat it after he spit it out?

If it was pretty much immediately after, he may of been chomping on it for a bit and his body decided he couldn't eat any more and spit it out.
Or it was just a larger pellet and he was breaking it down using his teeth.

Just keep an eye on him to see if it continues on a regular basis. If not, then continue to feed him and not worry. If he has been looking bloated, I'd cut back on the amount he eats for a few days. Cut it down by at least half, IE: 1-2 pellets a meal, for a few days so his body can catch up to his stomach.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #3 
Badjer

It was a few minutes or so after he'd eaten. I'll try cutting back on his food and see if he starts looking less bloated. Thank you for the advice!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:34 AM   #4 
BellasMomma

Both my Bettas do that ALL the time. Sometimes they will eat it right up after they spit it out and sometimes they wont. I think its just as MYATES said. Definitely not a concern since u had just fed him.
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote