Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #1 
coliee04

Exclamation Changing colors!?

Everytime i go to clean out my betta fish's bowl and i switch him to a small bowl while im cleaning his, he changes colors! is this a bad thing? or is this okay?

For the most part he looses almost all his coloring in his body, with the exception of a few dots here and there, and he turns almost a pinkish color near his fins.

hes normally a mix of royal blue and teal blue all over with a dark head.
my profile pic shows his normal color pretty well!!

Last edited by coliee04; 10-27-2011 at 07:56 PM.
coliee04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #2 
roarsirroar

when he changes into a pale color that means hes stressed. its normal, you just startled him. just don't stress him out too much/too often.

hope that helped! lol first time giving advice on this forum. maybe someone with more experience can give you a better answer :D
roarsirroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #3 
coliee04

Thanks! Although is that normal everytime I take him out to clean his bowl? Like litterally as soon as I put the net I have into his bowl he starts changing colors
Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #4 
bllauben

I don't know the answer to your question, but my betta also changes color throughout the day. Sometimes his rear is a teal. Othertimes it's a nice deep blue. A couple of times I've seen it flash red (only after he gets upset at his reflection). Othertimes it seems like it's a light blue/seafoam green. Same thing with his front half. Sometimes it's blackish in color. Then it turns to a deep purple then it shines with a seafoam green hue. Seems to go with the time of the day. May be I am imagining things. I don't know.

--Beth
bllauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #5 
audjree

it's normal for bettas to lose color or turn pale when they are stressed. so when you take him out and put him in a smaller bowl, it's just a bit stressful since you're taking him out of his home.

i've heard using a net is more stressful, do you still have the cup he came in from the store? if so, it may be less stressful to cup him out and then you can put him in the small bowl or keep him in the cup until you're done.

since he starts to lose color when you put his net in his bowl, he's probably figured out that the net is a bad thing and it'll take him out. to lower the stress, use the cup and put a towel over it or the bowl so it keeps him nice and dark. the dark helps bettas calm down a bit.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #6 
coliee04

i do try and just scoop him up with the bowl first since i just use the water thats already in the bowl for the water for him to sit in while hes waiting to go back into his bowl. but whenever that comes into the water he just goes down to the bottom of the bowl and wont allow me to get anywhere near him with the bowl
Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #7 
audjree

well, if it's necessary, then you can use the net. but, try to cover his small bowl with a towel to make him feel safe and calm.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Alternatively, if you can afford it and have the space, upgrade to a filtered tank large enough that you don't have to remove him during a water change. A 2.5 gallon is not expensive and doesn't take up a lot of room, but it sounds like it would make a lot of difference to him. :) Some bettas deal really well with being removed during water changes, but he sounds like he doesn't deal with it well at all, so an upgrade would definitely be in his favour. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color chaning!? help!!