Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #1 
oatsonix

My first CT and HMPK need names.

Hi guys. I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks but haven't had a chance to post anything yet. Thanks to all of you for sharing all the info, tips and photos. I have learned a ton about these amazing/beautiful fish and how to properly take care ofthem.

I recently got 2 new bettas and I want share them here, both of them from Petsmart in Ithaca. Thanks to my DSLR that I can some take nice photos of them to put here.

The first one is my first ever CT. He's living in a filtered/heated 2.5g with some java fern and moss.
Name:  DSC_3654s.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  44.3 KB

He hates my finger. =(
Name:  DSC_3659s.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  33.5 KB

The second one is my first HMPK. He's living in a temporary heated 1g (25Watt Elite seems to be working perfectly fine even in a 1g) with some java moss. I will try to move him to a bigger tank soon.
Name:  DSC_3733s.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  48.0 KB

Flaring at a mirror.
Name:  DSC_3756s.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  38.1 KB

I am honestly oblivious when it comes to naming fish some help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Also, what type of tail/pattern are they? I read through the thread about tail types, but I am not so sure. Is the HMPK one a butterfly or salamander? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by oatsonix; 10-27-2011 at 08:51 PM.
oatsonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #2 
freeflow246

Gorgeous fish. How did you find those beauties at Petsmart? :O
I name my pets based on personality, so I'd suggest waiting and seeing how they behave.
I'd say that the HMPK is a butterfly, but I could be wrong on that.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

Aww that finger flare picture is SO cute! He's just defending his territory :D It means he likes his home!

Also, GORGEOUS HMPK!

Golly I am terrible at names, but I love your fish :D
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

O_O wow, that is the most gorgeous crowntail i've ever seen!!! He looks like denim, so unique!!! He looks like a marble, so don't be surprised if his colors start changing =)
I love the HMPK too!! I don't think the banding on his fins is distinct enough to be a butterfly pattern, but he's still amazing!!! He has such a lovely sheen to his scales!! I think he's a multi-color dragon, but he could be a marble if he starts changing colors too.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

:D aha denim would actually be a cute name for the crowntail!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #6 
oatsonix

Thanks a lot everyone, for the compliments!! I will try my best to keep them healthy and happy. =) Denim actually sounds pretty nice. hehe. The first thing that came to my mind when I first saw him in his tiny cell was "Big eyes and blue jeans color". Unlike jeans, his tail and fins seem to look super delicate. Are cellophane-type fins actually more delicate than those solid-colored ones? Or it's just the looks? They just appear to be so thin and easily ripped to me.

I also checked some videos of butterfly and salamander HMPKs on youtube. I think you are right, Indyfishy, those fish do have distinct white stripes at the end of their fins.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #7 
Superbee

wow he is so brave, no fear with your finger. I remember when i was kid have a betta that can bite my finger and hang on my finger like pitbull with springpole...
Superbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #8 
oatsonix

lol... I got bit a few times while feeding them but not once have I ever seen or expected to see one that can bite you and hang on to your finger. That'd be awesome (and scary)!!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #9 
blueridge

You have 2 very pretty boys there!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #10 
TequilatheBetta

they're beautiful, and i would kill for that crowntail :) definitely name it denim !
you take amazing pictures btw :)
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote