Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2011, 01:35 AM   #1 
Bellus Bellator

Help with Planted tank.First time betta owner

I have a 10g planted tank and I really need help with a few things.
I have an amazon sword an Anubis nana some java ferns and some cousin of the amazon sword who's name I have forgotten.

Firstly I would like to know what plant grows tall that I can bury in my gravel sub straight at the back of the tank next to my amazon sword that's really low maintenance.Poor BB needs some tall cover at the back of his tank and I'm sure he would agree that the top of the tank is very naked looking.I did have some sort of ribbon/grass plant that was tall but this started to melt so I ripped it out.
I use liquid fertilizer every week but that's about all the love they get.The light is on 10-12 hours a day and although I don't know what type of bulb I have as I was given the tank it's says 220v/50hz and is florescent.What does that mean?

Also I bought an anubis nana and it was going well until BB got fin rot.I was floating his QT tank in this tank for two weeks for the warmth and the nana rotted,all I have left is 4 small leaves and a few roots on the rhizome that I was able to salvage.I did not change any of the water in the big tank while I was floating BB and after two weeks it stank.Did the nana die from bad water?Will it get past it's brush with death now the water is clean?
Sorry for the large pics but I'm technoimpaired. I really want to thicken up the planting with tall plants but I don't want anything that's even remotely difficult.Any suggestions?

Name:  P1000516.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  36.7 KB
Name:  P1000517.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  56.9 KB
Name:  P1000524.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  51.5 KB

^My poor little nana! :(

Name:  P1000526.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  44.0 KB

^have I planted the java fern too deep or is this o.k?

Name:  P1000520.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  54.5 KB
Name:  P1000527.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  44.3 KB
^I also bought this little cave that has a hole at the back so that I can suction cap it to the back of his tank near the top.I'm going to cover it with java moss so that he can sleep either in or on top of it and not have far to go for a breath.I need to find the right suction cap though so it's still a work in progress.He has a driftwood cave but this is more of an amusement rather than a bed as the tank isn't the right shape for a betta so it's too far to the bottom to sleep there, but the tank was free so this is what he gets.
Bellus Bellator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #2 
Bellus Bellator

P.s Is Co2 really necessary?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:30 AM   #3 
BellasMomma

Dont have any answers to yer questions but just wanted to say the tank looks really nice already and i cant wait to see it when yer all done with it!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:40 AM   #4 
Bellus Bellator

I'm becoming a bit batty about this fish.I've had 1 betta before many years ago when I was young and to my ever lasting shame never really gave him the care he needed.This time I'm atoning for my sins and am determined to make this the best tank possible.I wish it was the right shape but when you get given and entire set up what can you do?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #5 
BellasMomma

o im sure mr. betta will be fine in there, u can even get him a betta leaf for like $3 or a betta log for $10 so he can sleep at the top. but that little thing u have if u can pull it off should be great for him. I find that my male likes to be in his cave and swim through his really big plant like dont look at me!!! where my female is ALWAYS out in the open screaming LOOK AT MEEEEEE!!! but i have fake plants so no suggestions for u.... When i was little we had a family pet betta, he was in a 1 gallon critter keeper thingie with no plants, no caves, and no gravel!!!! poor little thing! we just didnt know any better and internet wasnt in almost every home like it is now. I too am paying him back by totally spoiling my Violet and Gaius Baltar!!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:04 AM   #6 
Bellus Bellator

Yeah we had no internet either but I am getting on in years now so that's no surprise.He's happy enough but I know that he liked his grass and I have two cats that leave him alone most of the time but occasionally will pat at the tank so I want him to have as many safe places as possible.I'll post more pics once the tank is fully set up. :D
P.s My first betta tank was exactly the same the only difference being I had an An aubis nana but that's it!I've always wondered how many of us had that first betta fish that survived but wasn't really cared for?Alot I would guess.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Most planted tanks fail due to the wrong light bulb and plants that are planted wrong.....both are easy to fix.....

You can get the proper bulb at any home center or even walmart...look for "Daylight" bulb 6500k...usually cost less than $7.00 and keep it on the 10-12hour photoperiod

Both your java fern and anubias need to be tied to something...the driftwood works well for this....if you bury the rhizome in the substrate it will rot and die....
Your sword plant-be sure the crown is above the substrate a tiny bit and with plain gravel I would add a root tab at the base of the sword plant every 1-3 months-since its a root feeder.....

Nice tall plants for the back and side....naja grass, vals, sags, all easy...this list is endless...but if you are wanting low care plants...get fake.....anything alive is going to require some care and you want the plants to grow and need trimmed on a weekly basis that you can do along with your regular weekly water change....

Be careful buying the plants in the tubes at the box type petshops...a lot of these are not true aquatic plants and will only rot and die in time...even some of the plants they have in the tanks are not true aquatic plants like the often seen Kayto grass-sometimes called mondo grass...its a marginal plant and will rot in a few months under water.....I wish these places would stop selling these plants....its just wrong.....

Planted tanks with just plain gravel or sand are great-get the right light bulb, plant the plants correctly, get true aquatic plants, use a bit of plant ferts after a water change weekly and the plants should thrive...no added CO2 needed with most low/mod light plants.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #8 
Bellus Bellator

Thank you so much oldfishlady! I was worried that I would need co2 for the heavy planting scheme that I want. I do want live plants so I am willing to do some work for them,so I'll get the fertilizer tabs and some more driftwood and see how things go.The more plants I put in his tank the happier BB becomes!
Quick question,I don't really understand why the light bulb losses it's kick after 1 year.I'm going to change it anyway of course but I am just curious to know why this happens.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

The light output drops within a year.....we can see the light but the plants can't see it for photosynthesis....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote