Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2011, 04:11 AM   #21 
HatsuneMiku

ooooOOooooOo !! i get it now guys .. x_x .. i don't see the difference on the scales .. both the 35 one and the 500 one looked the same to me .. but .. i understand why they were priced that way .. even if i can't tell the difference ..

you guys are on average saying $100 ish .. is that before or after shipping cost? if looking at aquabid? ..

locally i haven't paid more then 7.99 for a betta ... as petco is the only one that has different prices for each tail type .. and i never buy at petco they are the worst here .. and i'd rather support my LFS .. even when i have to drive out 30 mins to get to my favorite ones
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #22 
purplemuffin

For me, I'm talking about after shipping costs. Dionysus was 35 plus shipping, making him more like 50-60 dollars. So the 50-60 dollar range is about what I'd pay
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #23 
Bambi

I agree with what was said earlier about aquastar selling deformed and/or blind fish, i tend to not even look at their fish anymore.

Occasionally you'll see some over priced fish,some are bid up from people with no intention to pay.
Personally i'm iffy spending more then $15, but i can see myself spending $50 on a nice pair.

Last edited by Bambi; 10-30-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #24 
betta dude

i would get a lime green and purple halfmoon and i would pay all the moeny i had for it but sadly they dont exist
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #25 
bettarainbow

The most expensive betta i paid for was for 2 pairs super black dragon hm and each pair cost me $100 without shipping fee.
Then i bought 4 pairs of giant red dragon hmplakat for $200 each pair and i bought 2 giant half moon pair for $300 each pair.
I have plenty of betta fry from those giant pairs but none of them look like their parents, they are all regular size which was very sad.
bettarainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #26 
Luimeril

my dream betta..... i haven't gotten yet. but, Sniper's costing me $16, and that's his price plus shipping.

the whites from Aquastar have wonky scales. no offense to him, i adore his bettas, but he overprices deformed fish. i adore looking at his auctions, because he breeds some AMAZING bettas(i LOVE his salamanders... he had a salamander dragon female with a fin deformity that i adored. it wasn't a bad deformity, mind you. strange ray branching. i LOVED her color, and have never seen one like hers since....), but i hate seeing him overprice fish that shouldn't be sold at such prices...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #27 
vilmarisv

As they say: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
If you're looking to buy a fish for "decoration" or as a pet you might not mind slight deformities, unbalanced fins, or bad color patterns.
For those breeding (if you know what you're doing and what to look for) then it's might be "crazy" to consider a fish like that.
Personally, I wouldn't breed a fish just because it's "pretty". I want to improve a line and not take a step in the wrong direction.
I've been looking for a "decor" fish for a few weeks which I will put in my living room to match but I'm so used to looking at form and finnage that it's very hard for me just to pick any red fish because that's the color I want.
I will probably not get one in the end... I'm starting a spawn next month and I'll have plenty of great quality fish to choose from!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #28 
GreenTea

I would encourage those of you lusting after AB fish to just communicate with the sellers, I will have gotten 5 dragon hmpk giants for 125 dollars before shipping. They are often passionate about their fish and if someone shows an interest, they are often willing to offer discounts, especially if you notice the fish has been there for a few weeks! Just a thought :) I am amazed at the generosity of many of the Thai breeders, even with all of the flooding and tragedy going on there right now.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #29 
Luimeril

i didn't go through Aquabid to get none of my fish. :) i messaged Chard right here on bettafish, and got a slight discount!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #30 
Kytkattin

I wouldn't spend more that $20 on a betta. And quite frankly, I haven't spent more than $7. I like colors, I don't really care what the fins do, as long as they look sort of straight and they aren't so heavy that he chews them off *glares at Smaug*. I think that my blue boy Kamehameha is colored a more stunning blue/green than just about any betta I have ever seen. Now if I could only get a picture to prove that...
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote